DVDR70 and Sky

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stackers, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Apologies if this has been asked before.

Has anyone had any issues recording SKY using the Philips DVDR70?

Basically i can only record using the TV arial! When i connect the scart to EXT2 in the payer and the same in my SKY box and switch on i no longer get the blue menu!

I guess i'm making some sort of school boy error here but the manual is not very helpful! :mad: I've changed the recording settings for the player to EXT2 as the manual says.

Any help would be much appreciated. :lease:

2. jayss

jayss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stackers,

How have you got it all connected? I have a scart lead from Sky TV-out to the recorder-in, and a one from the recorder-out to the TV.
    What are you getting on screen?

3. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi Jayss

Thanks for the reply.

I can see yours is setup differently then mine already! I'll explain how i have mine setup.

1st off i have the TV arial connected to the DVD player and thats working fine :smashin:
    On the recorder there are 2 scarts, the top 1 is ext2 and the bottom is ext1. At the moment i have ext1 on the recorder connected to ext2 on my SKY box. I then have ext1 on the SKY box connected to ext1 on my TV. I know this won't record anything from SKY but it allows me to view the blue menu screen when i switch on the recorder.
    If i take the scart out of ext1 on the dvd recorder and plug it into ext2 on the recorder as the manual says then when i switch on the dvd i get nothing at all! No blue menu screen.

I hope this makes sense, i'll summarize below. :)

dvd recorder (ext1) -----> SKY box (ext2)
    SKY box (ext1) -----> TV (ext1)

4. jayss

jayss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stackers,

Doing it by the book, the connections should be like this:

dvd recorder (ext2) ------>Sky box (vcr scart)
    Sky box (tv scart) ------> TV (ext?)
    dvd recorder (ext1) ------> TV (ext?)

The TV will then switch to the dvd when it is turned on. I don't think the Philips outputs a switching signal on ext2, that's why it's not turning over while you have it connected that way. If you don't have a spare scart on the TV you could connect it up as I have - everything works OK and you get a better recording as the Sky tv scart outputs RGB signals while the vcr scart only outputs composite.

Hope this helps.

5. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks Jayss

I'll try this out and let you know, will probably be in a couple of days time due to work! :zonked:

I like the Philips products but find the manuals really bad!! :mad:

6. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The best way to connect is by using the DVDR70 loop through:

Sky box (tv scart) ------> dvd recorder (Ext2 Scart) - dvd recorder (Ext1 Scart)------>TV (RGB Scart)

Ensure that the DVDR70 is set to output RGB (default setting) and the TV input Scart is RGB capable and is switched to RGB (if necessary).

Put the DVDR70 into standby to watch live Sky.

This will enable RGB recordings to be made, and preserve the digital broadcast quality. The other method will default to composite video

7. Troj

Troj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There, Funnily enough Im having a very similar problem with NTL Digital, since they updated the Epg. Using either the Aerial or SCART , I can here sound, but get no picture and recording just gives me a black screen. Passthrough works perfectly well though. If I pull out and plug in the SCART lead whilst everything is on, the TV picture comes back for a couple of seconds and then disappears, making me think this is some weird Scart control signal error ? except the aerial doesn't work either ...hmmm

8. 2pods

2pods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My phillips dvdr70 worked fine with the first Sky+ recording I transferred (didn't use the save method, just played and recorded), but on the second one there was no sound plus ghosting.

No leads had changed between the hour's first recording

Anyone want an inaudible disc of John Martyn and Richard Thompson ?

Peter

9. 2pods

2pods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I changed the Macro Master scart to a normal scart, and my sound is back.

I'm probably not connecting properly though as there is some sparklies on sky
    Sky+ to ext2 on dvdr70
    dvdr70 S-video to tv.

Peter

10. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I've changed the scarts and it switches ok when Recorder is switched on. :thumbsup:

Currently this is the setup;

SKY ext1 - TV ext?
    SKY ext2 - DVD ext2
    DVD ext1 - TV ext?

I havent had a chance to try to record from SKY yet but 2 things i noticed;

1) After i change the recording settings on the recorder for SKY to EXT2, on the bottom left hand side of the main blue menu screen the box that displays the time turns to RED and doesn't display the time anymore! :confused:
    2) On the same main blue menu screen below that where the arial is it still displays a terrestial channel, i thought it might have said it was on SKY?

Any thoughts?

11. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The time problem is probably caused by the time not being available to the system. Normally this is obtained from teletext information decoded by the internal terrestial tuner "Program 1" position (normally BBC1). Is a terrestial aerial connected? The time can be set manually in the System Menu if you do not have an aerial connection to the DVDR70.

The display Disc Menu screen will show the channel or input that is being monitored. Change the program by selecting Monitor and using the up/down arrows to select Ext2.

Although the method of connection you have used has some advantages, it has the big disadvantge of being a composite signal and not RGB. This means that you are not getting the full quality benefit of using a DVD recorder, see my previous post. However, if you are happy with the composite quality leave as connected.

12. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks for the reply Jef. :thumbsup:

I'll try out both of these and post how i get on!!

13. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks for that Jef, thats it working now! :thumbsup:

The monitor button was the missing link for me! That enabled me to change to ext2 and bobs your uncle etc :)

It's setup as composite so i'll probably look at changing that soon but at the moment i'm happy that i can record from Sky!! :clap:

Ever thought about writing manuals for Philips? Their TV manuals are just as bad too!!!

14. Leebold

Leebold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm thinking of purchasing one of these philips dvdr70's as a replacement for my vcr. i have sky but also a dvd player (sony dvp-ns700v) which i want to keep. how can i add this into the loop to record dvd's if i wanted to.

cheers guys - it's all helpful. i'm new to all this forum stuff. i've read them but previously not bother signing up.

15. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Leebold

The method of connection will depend upon the number of Scart inputs to your TV and whether they are all RGB or just support S-video or composite signals. Assuming that your TV only has one RGB scart and you wish to view everything through RGB connections it could be achieved as follows:

Sony dvp-ns700v ----> Sky (VCR output) -- Sky (TV output) ---> DVDR70 (Ext2) -- DVDR70 (Ext2) ----> TV (RGB input)

This has a lot of loop-throughs but should work. It would be better to connect the DVD player directly to TV.

By the way you will not be able to copy "commercial" DVD's on the DVDR70 due to copy protection!

16. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sorry to go off subject slighty but is the aerial output of the DVDR70 purely there as a loop through? I cannot find a signal on it when a DVD is playing.

Thanks