DVDR v. PVR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nmbradley, Nov 19, 2004.

1. nmbradley

nmbradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to those that replied to my previous thread regarding best choice of DVDR. One other question that I would like help with please is "should I go for a PVR instead"?

They seem much cheaper than a DVDR. Does anyone know why, particularly as I can get Freeview as well with them.

I assume that you can dub from a PVR to a DVDR or VCR. But does anyone know what the main differences are in terms of quality and functionality between DVDR and PVR?

Thanks

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    PVRs are for time shifting rather than keeping. If all you want to do is watch a program later on then a PVR is better, you can get a cheap DVD player to play DVDs if you wish.

PVRs record in perfect quality because they don't decode/encode the source. DVDRs still record in good quality.

PVRs have better functionality with an EPG because its all in one unit.

One of the reasons PVRs are cheaper is because they are simpler, they don't need an MPEG encoder (encoding is much harder than decoding) because they just record the stream off air without altering it.

The best setup is both a PVR and a DVDR or even better PVR with DVDR/HDD.

3. nmbradley

nmbradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bobcar. However, surely you can save to a PVR as well. I have seen a number with HDDs.

If my main interest is to record TV programmes plus watch the odd rented DVD, wouldn't I be better off buying a PVR plus a cheap DVD player?

My interest in the PVR is driven by two factors (i) to be able to record easily and the EPG function would help here (I assume that it is better than video+) and (ii) the ability to buy a PVR with Freeview thrown in.

Or, would I be better off with a DVDR with HDD and a Freeview set top box? I have been thinking of buying the Toshiba RDXS32.

Any comments on this approach?

4. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's not really suitable for long term archival.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You only need a dvdr if you want to keep ,collect and archive.If your only intention is watch and wipe then any Freeview HDD recorder is ideal.Of course,its better to get a Freeview HDD and a DVDR/HDD but it depends if you really need it,or if your budget will stretch to it.

6. nmbradley

nmbradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is a PVR not suitable for longer term archiving? Both the DVDR HDD and the PVR HDD have hard discs with substantial capacity. Is it something to do with the titling and indexing or am I completely missing the point?

7. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you can leave recordings on the HDD as long as you like but they're are intended mainly for temporary use IMO. Also, if you keep adding recordings to your HDD without ever removing them then (depending on your usage) it will eventually get full.

8. nmbradley

nmbradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Oardvd but frankly I still don't understand. You say that a PVR is not really suitable for long term archiving and that the hard disc will eventually get full. But what is the difference between filling a hard drive on a DVDR and filling it up on the PVR. I really am failing to understand the difference.

Please help me out.

9. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference is that the DVDR/HDD allows transfer from the HDD to DVD easily. so you can archive on DVD. The standalone Freeview/HDD eg Pace Twin, do not lets you transfer the data to eg your PC for writng to DVD.

I have the same problem deciding between Pace twin and a DVDR.

I think I'm going the pace twin route, because my thinking is now that there is so much eg good comedy on that it is not necessary to build up parsonal archives.

This is a philosophy that goes against my collecting tendencies (1000 films on DVD) but I'm going to try.

10. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    nmbradley, you actually would not want to archive on either a PVR HDD or a DVDR HDD.
    Both will ultimately become full to capacity if you never erase anything.

If you are likely to want to keep programmes indefinitely, the DVDR allows you to burn them to DVD and then clear the space on the HDD.

11. nmbradley

nmbradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ......possible to record from a PVR HDD to a DVDR HDD and then burn to disc without significant loss of quality?

If yes, then that's probably what I will do i.e. buy twin drive PVR with HDD and Freeview and buy a non-HDD DVDR and arhcive to disc.

ANy comments on this startegy anyone?

12. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When the hard drive on a DVDR starts to fill up, you just copy some of the things your not about to imediatly watch onto a dvd rw and clear up some HD space.
    When you run out of dvdr's/(rw's) you can go to the shop and buy some more. When you run out of hard drive space on a pvr its a little bit more complicated to arkive things.
    You tend to want to just keep things you're going to watch in the next few days on the Hard drive.

13. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When you copy from a HDD on a DVDR to a DVD you can do it quickly (high speed dub) and with no loss of quality....