DVDr or freeview with HD

jameslindsey

Apologies for the double post but this query really spans 2 forums.

I am currently in a quandry. I need to update my Freeview box. Still using an original Nokia (Ondigital ) Text is painfully slow and it keeps crashing. I am also looking at getting a DVD recorder. Multiregio would be nice but I have a good player so not essential.

I need freeview with digital audio out hard disk recording and dvd recording. Budget is about £450 but I'd like to spend less.

Do I get an all in one solution? it'll be a Sony RDR HXD710 if so.

Would I be better served with a Freeview box with HD recorder and separate DVD recorder.

Do I get a new basic Freeview box and a good DVD recorder with HD?
I'd really like to be able to record directly from the guide so this may be the least attractive option.

Decisions decisons, any advice form someone who has gone through a similar situation would be much appreciated.
Thanks

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Currently, all the HDD-DVD machines with Freeview are single tuner. This limits the flexibility they offer. Once you've used a dual tuner/dual record box, you'd never go back.

So, on that basis, the answer is, a twin tuner/dual record Freeview PVR and then your choice of any HDD-DVD machine (my own preference is Pioneer). Any buy it de-regioned, of course.

You really don't need digital audio out for Freeview, as now and for any measure of forseeable future, it isn't really of benefit; all Freeview is two-channel so an analog stereo pair does just as well. All HDD-DVD machines will have digital outputs for multichannel DVD.

Choose your PVR here based on features. I'd take the "reliability" ratings with a pinch of salt, though. If you are fairly "techy" then the Topfield is the state of the art. If you aren't, the Fusion FVRT200 is probably the next most reliable.

jameslindsey

Thanks for the top advice I'll have a look at the better specced Freeview boxes.:smashin: The topfield looks suitably techy for me.

Wans118

Standard Member
This thread has confused me just as I was getting close to making a decision – the curse of research strikes again!

I have ntl cable at the moment and the standard sort of VCR and DVD player set-up. I was going to buy the Sony 710 as I wanted the additional flexibility of a Freeview tuner so I could record cable or Freeview whilst watching the other. Therefore my questions are these:

1. Is it possible to input the cable box via scart to a DVDR+HDD machine and record EITHER the cable or freeview while watching the other?

2. If not, how would I configure the set-up of a (say) Topfield, DVD-R, and cable to achieve this? The DVD-R bit is non-negotiable (according to my teenage son) and my current TV has only 2 scart inputs, and I'm keen to reduce spaghetti.

Any and all advice gratefully received. I’m just keen to get away from being left with a mere 5 channels to choose from if I’m recording from cable especially as analogue is doomed (and I refuse to give either ntl or Sky any more of my money each month!).

Wans118

Standard Member
Shameless self-bump:

Could someone please help me out with understanding whether I can input the cable box via scart to a DVDR+HDD machine and record either the cable or freeview while watching the other?

Cheers.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
1: I would imagine that you could
a) use a recorder with onboard Freeview to record Freeview whilst using the cable box for live viewing of cable.
b) use both the recorder and the cable box to record cable - but not, I suspect, watch Freeview whilst this is happening.

2: Whilst it could pobably be done by daisy-chaining, this will in some cases reduce flexibilty. I guess it would be made easier by using a SCART switcher of some sort to feed the TV a choice of, say Freeview(PVR) or cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom