DVDR menus and copying to another DVD format

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by childe, Nov 25, 2002.

1. childe

childe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know that TV DVDR's make simple menus and that each model/make produces different menus. What happens if I copy my video onto a dvd +r or +rw now (via a Philips machine) but in the future want to either copy it to a -r/rw format disc or copy it to a blu ray disc or whathever appears in the future?

Would I be copying the whole disc content across including menus, and thereby get menus within the new menus that would be created, or are these original menus stripped out and then recreated by the machine that is being used for the new copies?

I hope its the latter as if it is then compatibility of formats will not be such a big issue, especially if like me you don't already have a DVD player.

2. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,

I would have though it would depend on the method of the copy.

If you copy the disc by playing the content of one and recording on the new format then it would be much like copying a video tape as the copy will only be started (by you) after you have selected 'play' from teh original dvd menu.

If you are intending on doing a straight file copy from one disc to another then you sill need to ament the index files and change the menu items.

There are tools around that will allow you to do this for creating dvd's via a dvd writer on a pc.

Check out
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/
    and
    www.doom9.org

for guides and the tools to do this.

I have been doing stuff like this for a bit on the PC and have just found these two sites (along with others) to be of great help.

Cheers
    Si

3. childe

childe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rimblock

Thanks for the answer. My question is theoretical right now, but is pertinent to my choice of DVDR machine. If subsequent transfers are not problematical, and it sounds like they will not be, then I should choose the machine that best suits my needs now and if necessary transfer my copies at a later date if my format becomes obsolete. I would most likely do this by buying a new recorder and using the "video tape" method you describe.

On this basis, as I will be doing DV copying I should choose the Philips 890 as it has DV input and is within my budget.

Regards

Eric

4. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Glad to have been able to help.

Just a thought....

Multi-format DVDR drives are coming out at the moment for P.C.'s. I would have thought that it would not be too long before they filter down to AV equipment.

Depends on your urgency but then you could wait your whole life for the next great thing just round the corner.

Cheers
    Si