DVDR/HDD from Argos

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kippax1966, Mar 10, 2006.

1. kippax1966

kippax1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I have £400 in Argos vouchers to spend, and am looking to buy my first DVD recorder, and have decided, after reading the posts on here, that a hard disk would be nice too.

Alas, Argos has a limited choice, and the short list is down to the Samsung DVD HR720 at £229 and the Panasonic DMR -EH50 at £249. The reviews for the Panasonic are very good, but I would prefer i-link as I have a lot of Camcorder footage I'd like to archive. The Samsung has this, and seems to do everything I want, but I can find no detailed reviews of it on the net. I would also like something that was very user friendly, so my wife could also use it!

Does anyone have any opinions of the Samsung, and also which I should go for.

Many thanks in anticipation....

Mike

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Wow £400 in vouchers!

As to your choice - both very good makes.

Why not find an additional £80 and buy both.

3. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What about "selling" the vouchers for say £350 and getting a better machine e.g. Panasonic DMR-E60D or Sony RDR-HX710 with built-in freeview or one of the latest JVC's with guide plus to control an external box and HDMI output

4. kippax1966

kippax1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies - I really want to spend as little as possible on the machine, but obviously want something half decent.

I did consider selling the vouchers, but, with 2 young children, there are lots of other things I could buy at Argos with the remainder!

5. kippax1966

kippax1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update - I eventually bought the Samsung, and although I haven't used it much, and am not an expert, I can say that I am delighted with it so far. Setup was easy, and usability has been fine. I've only recorded to the hard drive, bit the quality is as good as the original, and menus etc are very easy to use. I'm planning to transfer some camcorder footage to the hard drive att he weekend, and attempt some rudimentary editing, so I'll update on how easy this is to do for a novice.