1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDR/HDD + Freeview query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pelham, Aug 7, 2005.

1. pelham

pelham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a VCR but it sometimes struggles with my new TV - I bought a 30 Philips LCD TV with progressive scan - so now I'm thinking about updating my kit. I currently a freeview box and I've been looking at the Toshiba RD-XS34 and the Panasonic DMR-EH50 because they're fairly similar in price. I was tempted by the Toshiba's 160 GB HDD but I read on the forum that the Panasonic is happier with longer recordings so I'm still debating.

My question is, do I buy one of these? Or is it worth waiting for the DVDR/HDD s with Freview tuner in that are coming out soon-ish. I think my limit for new hardware is going to be about £500.

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you want the convenience of a one box solution then I'd probably wait and get a HDD/DVD recorder with Freeview. Models from Panasonic and Sony are due in September I think, so not long to wait.

It's a fair bet that a HDD/DVD recorder with built in Freeview will give superior PQ to using an external Freeview decoder and recording from that as an extra stage of analogue/digitial conversion is removed.

£500.00 should get you the new Panasonic HDD/DVD Freeview recorder.

However I would always recommend you audition the machine before you buy.

3. pelham

pelham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you do that?

4. dubtronix

dubtronix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do we know yet if any of these players are to have twin tuners? I believe some of the newer standalone Freeview boxes can now record 2 channels and watch a 3rd (or watch a previous recording); it will be a bit of a shame, not to mention a step backwards if all these new multiplayers only have single tuners.