Dvdr 890

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dberry, Dec 24, 2003.

1. dberry

dberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my complete lack of knowledge, but I am hoping you guys out there can answer a few questions!

I have a DVDR 890 hooked up to a Panasonic TX32 DT30 widescreen tv. There are a few issues. On a couple of occasions i have left the DVDR recording at night, not on timer, but just till the +rw disc is full. At the point where the disc is full, the dvdr returns to the preview screen, but this turns the TV on, which can be a bit of a shock at 2.30 in the morning (especially after a few bevies). I assume this is something to do with the easylink. What are your thoughts. To put my 2 penneth in, I think the 890 is too complicated for the novice with better things to do.

Cheers

2. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err?? How about turning the TV off via the mains switch on the front, not via the remote which puts it in stand-by:rolleyes:

3. dberry

dberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, certainly live up to your alias!!!

I had figured that out, Norman, but obviously that is an extra button to press, and that wastes valuable time.

4. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh yes, of course it does - no doubt when your house burns down because you've left your TV in stand-by and it's caught fire, you'll be well pleased at all the "valuable time" you've saved.:suicide:

5. dberry

dberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have asked a question that is intriguing me, and would hope to get a sensible answer from someone in the know! I do not wish to get into a discussion with some numpty who is unable or incapable of qualifying my query. Keep up the good work with the smileys, and contact your best friends on some other chat room.

6. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK then - what scart connections are you using from the 890 to connect to the TX32 DT30?

It's the signal being sent from the 890 when it reverts to is menu screen via the Easylink that automatically switches the TV on from Stand-by. It should stop if you conect the 890 to another Scart socket. When we had a Panasonic PL10 and an 890, this happened with ours but if I recall, the Easylink scart was not RGB enabled, so we also got the bonus of this stopping and better picture quality. Does this help?

7. dberry

dberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said I am a bit of a novice, so i hope the following is what you mean. I am using fully wired tech-link scarts leads, from TV out socket on the 890 to AV2 on TV. This is marked Q-Link. There is a scart on the TV spare, being number 4. I have a Panasonic sky digi box to socket 1 on TV.

8. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should go like this on a scart loopthrough: -

TV Scart out on Sky to to the RGB In Scart on the 890 (can't remember which one it is - AV2 I think)

Other scart on 890 to the RGB in Scart in on your TV - AFAIK, the RGB in Scart on the TV is not EasyLink enabled. The TV instructions should tell you which of the Scarts are configured for Easy / Q-Link.

PS - I hope this is less "numpty" for you, but in all seriousness, in a previous life, I'd seen all too many fires caused by TV's being left on "Standy-By."

9. dberry

dberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I will give it a go. I get where you are coming from and will probably endevour to switch the TV off. It seems a bit daft that the manufacturers fit standby mode if it causes fires, although the general concensus is, as you say, that it can.
    Cheers again.

10. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just disable pin 8 on the scarts, that's the one which signals on/off automatically