Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVDPlus e-tip

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jay2000, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone used this service yet? You only pay cost price for DVD's and then its up to you if you leave them a tip. I just ordered Alien Legacy set for £51, not a bad discount but was reluctant to leave any tip until I see what the service is like.

Call me cynical but I think they're overestimating our generosity!

Jay

2. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Australia and order from DVD+ and have only waited 3-4 days from order for discs to arrive

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    I have to say that I think the service is a good idea but also a con.

The prices they are charging are NOT cost price at all or if they are DVDPLUS are being charged too much.

I have seen many an invoice come into the shop I work at for single disc orders and most come in at about 9.87 with some newer titles being about 11.20. This is for ONE title and NOT a bulk order.

Also im not sure how much there cost price posting is ( should be about £1 per disc ) but does it not seem bad to think that they were making profit on postage ?

4. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Duncan, I dont know the legit cost price of DVD's but they also state that you only pay cost price of P&P as well (88 pence for a single item). Now I dont know if there was an error on their part with my order but they only charged me 88p for postage of the Alien Legacy set (4 discs).

Value value value... [​IMG]

5. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Sorry did not wanna upset you, I know that there posting is a good deal, what i was saying is that i find it hard to believe that any company would add money onto posting.

Also I have just tried to work out how much a ALIENS BOXSET would be at cost and I think it would be around about £42. I know that most High Street stores, such as WH Smith are selling it at £59.

I have also seen it at about £50 on a few other DVD sites.

Also take THREE KINGS selling at DVD PLUS for £14.71. Ok its cheaper than the high street but only just where most stores are selling for £15.99. Also PLAY are selling it for £14.99

It seems to be that although they are cheaper than B4, there prices are NOT at cost and that its probably one of THE best advertising gimics since NASTY NICK was thrown out of BIG BROTHER

------------------

"How could this happen? We started out like Romeo and Juliet but it ended up in tragedy."

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Just got back from Manchester airport, Virgin (Terminal one) are doing three kings for £12.99
    or buy Three DVD's for £33
    for example 3 kings the matrix and deepblue sea for £33.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure these discs are £19.99 each, retail.
    Cheers
    Timh

------------------
    There can be only one.

7. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a confusing one Timh...

I also got Three Kings/The Matrix/Deliverance for £33 from Virgin. Strange thing was though they had Three Kings and The Matrix displayed for £19.99 each in the chart section but they were labelled up as £12.99 in the "3 for £33" section. Odd! Oh well, they ended up at £11 each so whose complaining? Not me!

And Duncan, of course you didn't upset me - at the end of the day I got my Alien set at least £8 cheaper than I've seen elsewhere so it's all good. If it is infact true that they are still adding a mark-up on their cost prices, then they can kiss their tips goodbye... [​IMG]

Jay

8. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Thats what im trying to get at.

They ARE adding a mark up, all they have done is taken not just a pound of the price but also a few pence too, so it looks like a cost price. Its JUST a GIMICK !!

Also shop around on the high street, SMITHS are selling a LARGE range of DVDs at 12.99 and some ( lots ) of 19.99 for 15.99

9. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alien set came today (Sat) and I only ordered it Wednesday and they quoted 4-7 days so I'm a happy bunny. May even tip next time. Highly recommended.

Jay

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Jay,

Virgin and HMV are notorious for being lazy, when it comes to the same product available in different parts of the store, once at their regular full-price, and then elsewhere at the sale price! Always check before you buy something from them, because otherwise they'll happily let you pay full whack!

Pooch

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    How did DVD Plus get on with e-tip in the end?

12. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Officially, nothing to do with etip but something to do with backers not coming through.

Unofficially though, and my own opinion...

Bit of a coincidence isn't it? Introduce a non-profit making system that relys on customers to pay more than they need to keep you in business, and 3 months later go under?

Very brave of them to try it though. :)

But even though they were supposedly selling them at cost price, discs were still cheaper at Play!

Ptm

13. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Funny that. :)

14. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: