DVDO VP30 upscaler has no sound - help please

itovs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there
I've recently got a DVDO VP30 upscale for my laserdisc player, and I have to say that the difference in picture quality is awesome!
However, I can't seem to get any sound out of it.
I've connected my laserdisc player with RCA leads, optical sound lead and a scart to rca lead at different times with no luck.
I've also connected my wdtv box with an hdmi leas and still no sound.
I've tried ever setting I can see, done a factory reset and swapped the output hdmi cable, but all to no avail.
Has anybody got any advice or can help?
I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks
Ian

Have you confirmed with the previous owner that the audio was working?

Can you provide some detail on what you have connected and how the devices are connected.

Joe

Hi Joe
Thanks for your reply.
The previous owner said that they'd had it working through rca connectors and got sound.
I've connected my Pioneer CLD-1850 laserdisc player with the following at different times
1) rca cables to the rca dvdo inputs
2) rca cables plus an optical cable to the dvdo
3) scart lead which has rca at the other end.
I've also tried my WDTV box with an hdmi cable to the hdmi input 1 on the back of the dvdo

Hope that makes sense.

Ian

Hi Ian

How is the output connected/configured and what are you connecting to?

Joe

The output from the dvdo is to a samsing tv via hdmi. Then the sound goes from the tv to my sonos soundbar.
No sound on the tv or the sound bar.
Have tried changing the sound input to every connection that comes up on the dvdo, no joy.
I hope I'm explaining everything ok - I'm very much an amateur.

TV > Soundbar - can we assume that works for the TV Tuner and onboard Apps?

Joe

Yep. That works fine.
I have a 4k player set up to directly and a fetch box (an Australian tv box) linked up that works fine.
If I put the optical directly into the sonos bar from the laserdisc player, or the wdtv box I get sound. But this is impractical to keep swapping the optical cable in and out.

And to confirm you have tested the Laserdisc 2RCA and or Optical Output works direct to an Amp or the Optical works direct to the SONOS Soundbar using the SONOS Optical Adapter?

Best to test the basics are working before you add in the DVDO.

Joe

And to confirm you have tested the Laserdisc 2RCA and or Optical Output works direct to an Amp or the Optical works direct to the SONOS Soundbar using the SONOS Optical Adapter?

Best to test the basics are working before you add in the DVDO.

Joe
Yes, that's how it was connected before I got the dvdo.
I had a scart lead to an hdmi converter.
Ian

Have you factory reset the DVDO?

It was usually pretty straightforward connecting the Source Video + Audio to the DVDO, selecting the relevant Video Input and then use the front panel button to ‘toggle’ through the Audio Inputs to pair the video and audio.

Joe

Have you factory reset the DVDO?

It was usually pretty straightforward connecting the Source Video + Audio to the DVDO, selecting the relevant Video Input and then use the front panel button to ‘toggle’ through the Audio Inputs to pair the video and audio.

Joe
Unfortunately I've done all of that.
Done a factory reset and tried all of the audio input selections.
Thanks for your help.

Ian

Which video input are you connecting the Laserdisc to on the DVDO?

Joe

Might be worth putting the SCART to HDMI converter back into the system and connect its Output to the DVDO and then convert the image, that may get the audio working :)

Joe

Might be worth putting the SCART to HDMI converter back into the system and connect its Output to the DVDO and then convert the image, that may get the audio working :)

Joe
Will try that
Thanks Joe

Ian

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom