DVDO VP30 Power Supply

Ambo

Hi

My (switched mode 6V @ 5A) PSU has gone for the second time. Last time I replaced it with one from Maplin which has lasted several years, but they no longer supply a model with the right output amperage.

Have struggled to find an obvious source on the web - I e-mailed Kestrel AV who are named as the UK DVDO distributor on the Simplaylabs website and waiting for a response. Owl and CSE(?) seem to be long gone. Any other ideas as this is getting quite frustrating! :lease:

pecksniff

Standard Member
I used to have a DVDO VP50 and I replaced a duff PSU
with a Skytronic 7.5 A unit. I got it from a firm in Widnes
called Compubuyz tel 0151 424 0220. I believe that subsequently they offered a discount to AV forums readers.
Two snags:
Whether this is suitable for a VP30 or not I don't know

Compubuyz no longer list it on their website, but I think if you search for Skytronic 661081 you might get it from another source

Ambo

RS Components 6v 6 amp ?

Thanks, I found them and they actually have a 6V 5A which I've ordered. Would still like to see if I can get an "official" version. :smashin:

Ambo

FYI, got an official PSU from Kestrel AV at £54 delivered - very good service and quick despatch :thumbsup: The PSU is much beefier than the old DVDO original and is actually rated 6v at max 7A. Working nicely now!

Ambo

Sorry, yes Karma AV (not Kestrel) - apologies! :oops:

Darkstar_surfer

Thanks, I found them and they actually have a 6V 5A which I've ordered. Would still like to see if I can get an "official" version. :smashin:

Can I ask how much you paid for this [email protected] version and did you ever try it out. Did you get it from RS as I can't find it from a quick search.

Ambo

It was about £25 plus postage (n/k) but I cancelled it before they sent it once I found the official one at Karma AV. Sorry.

drago.d

Hi,
when the original iScan power supply for my VP30 gave up on me I replaced it with the usual 5A rated variable voltage p/s from Maplins.
Now this one has died after about 18 months (it always ran hot. Mind you, so did the original) and as Maplins no longer have the same item, I've had to search elsewhere, and finding the required 6v & 5A output has been quite tricky :thumbsdow

Anyway, have found this for £14.99 and thought it might help anyone finding themselves in a similar position:
6V 5A 5000mA AC-DC Switching Adapter Desktop Power Supply YT-0605 PSU 2.5/2.1
Fixed 6v output and 5000mA rated. Will let you know how successful it is once I receive it.

drago.d

Well the replacement ps I ordered arrived (and very swiftly, I might add). The plug tip was exactly the right size, too, so no messing about with adaptors. Plugged the unit in and, Hey presto, all working fine and normal service has been resumed :thumbsup: Result!
I actually think this is a better solution than the Maplins multi-voltage unit it replaced, as being a single voltage unit you know you are always getting the rated current, whereas looking at the specs of some variable units I found, the max current was only available at 1 of the voltages.
As far as operating temperature goes, this new unit also runs quite warm (like the OEM unit) but not as hot as the Maplins unit used to get. This, I hope, bodes well for improved longevity.
Anyway, at £14.99 I'd definitely recommend this to owners of VP30's finding they've got duff power supplies.

katori

Standard Member
Does anyone know where I can find one that is local to America? Searching on eBay turned up nothing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom