DVDO SDI mod

CrispyToast

Established Member
Reaction score
Help needed please.
Want to improve my DVDO HD+ with a SDi card, so was wondering what's the good and bad points, and the best way of doing this and where should I get the parts from?
Is it a DIY modification?
Any info would be great.

Cheers :smashin:

Good and bad points to SDI...

Bad first... only financial, the cost for the DVDO SDI module and modified SKY+ box or DVD player.

Good points, just about everything else, superb pic etc

As for DIY job, if you are happy to remove the case of your HD+ then its a piece of cake, 15minutes max, just plug and play. Just swapped it from my HD+ to VP50 in 5 minutes.

I bought my module from Lenexpo in the US (sell via fleabay for ease), they offer superb service and even with shipping are far cheaper than UK suppliers (well thats what I found). They are of course certified resellers.

Good and bad points to SDI...

Bad first... only financial, the cost for the DVDO SDI module and modified SKY+ box or DVD player.

Good points, just about everything else, superb pic etc

As for DIY job, if you are happy to remove the case of your HD+ then its a piece of cake, 15minutes max, just plug and play. Just swapped it from my HD+ to VP50 in 5 minutes.

I bought my module from Lenexpo in the US (sell via fleabay for ease), they offer superb service and even with shipping are far cheaper than UK suppliers (well thats what I found). They are of course certified resellers.

Thanks for that.
It is good to know it can be transfered from scaler to scaler as I hope in getting a VP50 later.
Is the part you got a "601A"?
How much did it cost in the end?

Cheers

Did you already mod the Denon? Denons are usually not first choice for SDI. There are better alternatives for image quality.

Thanks for that.

Is the part you got a "601A"?
How much did it cost in the end?

Cheers

Yep, there is only one part to my knowledge.

From memory around £120 delivered, should be cheaper now with the weaker $. UK suppliers were asking around £200.

Please elaborate futher.
When SDI modding a DVD player the single most important factor for image quality is the quality of the MPEG2 decoder in the DVD player. Many other things which were important without SDI are no longer important for image quality when using SDI. In real life Denon is not the top choice for SDI, because their MPEG2 decoders are usually good but not the best.

When SDI modding a DVD player the single most important factor for image quality is the quality of the MPEG2 decoder in the DVD player. Many other things which were important without SDI are no longer important for image quality when using SDI. In real life Denon is not the top choice for SDI, because their MPEG2 decoders are usually good but not the best.

So what would be considered as a good choice

I think that opinions may differ in this respect, f.ex Denon 1600 uses highly rated Matsuhita MPEG 2 decoder.

I think that opinions may differ in this respect, f.ex Denon 1600 uses highly rated Matsuhita MPEG 2 decoder.
I haven't seen any SDI Denons myself, so I can't really comment. However, I've always read in every single thread that Denon is not the best choice for SDI. Everytime when I've read that people compared a SDI Denon with one of these forum's favourite SDI players, the Denon lost. Btw, the top rated SDI player (Philips 963) does not use a Matsushita MPEG2 decoder.

I could take the one out of VP30+ABT102 I am selling. Will think about it after work.

StooMonster

Sorry to jump in here but if using a sanyo Z4 projector with a big screen what improvement would i see if any, ie would the upgrade be worth it.
Thanks

Sorry to jump in here but if using a sanyo Z4 projector with a big screen what improvement would i see if any, ie would the upgrade be worth it.
Thanks

I reckon the improvement on my set up (HD to 4805) of going SDI was about 5% on the better channels for Sky (actually made the worst channels look poorer ) and about 15% better than the Yamakawa 365 it replaced - which was no slouch.

Yep, there is only one part to my knowledge.

From memory around £120 delivered, should be cheaper now with the weaker $. UK suppliers were asking around £200.

Hi Steve_B,

Just a quick question regarding your buy from Lenexpo...

Can you please let me (us) know how much was the duty tax on this? (I am assuming the usual Vat 17.5% was definitely added but would nice to know what other charges occurred).

Many thanks,

Kopa13

I was lucky as I got it sent via my office in NY, so nothing was added :D

If you ask them to ship it by USPS priority Airmail insured rather than EMS you should be fine. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't.

EMS is like Special Delivery and always attracts duties, in my experience anyhow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom