1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDO iScanHD and Scanlines

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by storole, Oct 13, 2004.

1. storole

storole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I'm having trouble with visible scan lines, when using my DVDO iScanHD with my Dreambox DM7000. It does not matter what kind of connection I use. S-Video / Component / etc.

Scrolling text is totally unreadable. :(

I had the same trouble with my Pioneer DV-868Ai until I set the "Precision Cinema" to "Auto 2" in the DVD Player's menu.

When talking to DVDO they do not seem to understand my problem. :eek:

Has anyone some kind of idea on what I should do?!

Regards, storole

2. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You may be confusing DVDO with the terminology you are using. If you are referring to a problem with horizontally scrolling text the artefact is called combing (because it looks like the teeth of a comb). It's a common problem for de-interlacers if the main image is from a progressive source (e.g. film) but it has a scrolling text overlay which is actually interlaced (i.e. it is in a different position on successive fields), sometimes they don't detect the text area and simply weave the whole frame (i.e. combine the lines from both fields with no filtering) which gives the text a serrated appearance. I don't know the details of the DVDO product's menus, the '504 usually does a good job in these situations but it can get caught out depending on how it is set up. There will probably be a setting to cope with this, someone who knows the product better may chip in or DVDO should be able to help given a more complete description of the problem.

HTH.

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

Did you purchase your unit from a UK dealer?

4. storole

storole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JohnMulcahy!

But, the thing is, the scrolling text was just as an example. All moving parts has the "combing" artefact. And it seems to be on PAL TV material. NOT on FILM material.

As I mentioned, I had the same trouble with the DVD. I think it's the same chip in the iScanHD as in the DV-868. I hope there is a similar setting. :lease:

And Cool-hand, no I did not buy this at a UK dealer. I'm from Norway. ;)

storole

5. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Maybe there is some feature of the Dreambox output that is making the iScan think the input is from a progressive source when it isn't? Can't think what that might be as the '504 decides that from field content unless it is forced to ignore it, and I don't think there is any option to force that in the iScan menus.

If you go into the Input Adjust menu on your iScan and set Film Mode to "off" in the FILM menu then it forces it to treat all input as interlaced, which should eliminate the combing - but at the expense of reduced vertical resolution for material that is originally from a progressive source.

6. storole

storole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the infoscreen of the iScanHD, it shows PAL or 576i (S-VIdeo or Component).

The "Film mode" is set to "Off" ! So I don't know. As I mentioned, I had the same trouble with Progressive 576p output from my Pio 868. This was corrected by the "Pure Cinema" option "Auto 2".

7. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Is it the same with Film mode on Auto? Have you tried other sources? It sounds like the problem might be the Dreambox, not the iScan...

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    storole

You don't mention your display device or what output settings you have the DVDO outputting - have you got PAL 50Hz 'Locked' in the FRC menu or are you doing any conversion to better suit your Display device?

As John says you can usually 'induce' a Film/Video error when you have a mixture of material on screen - try Bloomberg for example; nice tight ticker tape until the 'video' window goes to the Adverts (which are mostly 'film' source) and the ticker tape jumps around every few second as the 'Video' window changes content.

Have you updated your Firmware to the latest release?

Best regards

Joe

EDIT: I see from the Dreamvision manual there are lots of Options for the TuxText viewing modes - I wonder if this feature (especially in the Invisible mode) is causing a problem similar to that described above when you view Bloomberg.