Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVDO IScan Ultra - Silicon Image

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by geewhizz, Feb 6, 2005.

1. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Are these any good, got the chance of one for about £100
    I have a panny 42" pw7 and everything is connected with scart plugs,
    I have the old cable box ( black one ) piggybacking into a video that scart connected to my sony dav sc5 home cinema.
    What else would i need to get a good picture if this is ok.
    And are scalers easy to use.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    geewhizz

The DVDO iScanUltra is a Video Deinterlacer not a 'scaler'.

Input Interlaced PAL and you get Progressive PAL on the Output.

Input Interlaced NTSC and you get Progressive NTSC on the Output.

At £100.00 its certainly worth adding to your system - though keep in mind its NOT compatible with SCART RGB sources; you'll need to install a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter (£140) between your SCART RGB sources and the YUV inputs on the Ultra.

Your Composite and S-Video signals can go straight to the Ultra on separate cables to the RGB signals.

You'll need a half decent HD15 (VGA) cable between the Ultra and the Display - and also keep in mind the Ultra will most likely add a delay to the video picture so you may require a Digital Audio delay (Felston DD340) to keep Video and Audio in sync.

Best regards

Joe

3. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks Joe

So probably looking in the region of £400 ish. In your opinion is it worth that sort of money for the difference in picture quality, ( bare in mind i'm a numpty at these thing ) Or is there a cheaper/easier way of doing it ( there never is when it comes to me ).

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    Hello geewhizz

When you add up the costs to get the best out of the iScanUltra and get to 400.00 your nearly 50% of the way to a LumagenDVI (SRP £815.00) or iScanHD+ (SRP £940.00).

Both of these units Deinterlace, Frame rate Convert, are HDCP compatible, are RGB compatible etc etc - I'd keep saving!!!

Or stick with S-Video and Composite from your sources into the iScanUltra - if your never going to spend 800.00+ on the newer models then the Ultra is quite viable at £100.00 + a couple of cables.

Best regards

Joe