DVDO iScan HD

Liam,

But i have a projector (HS10) and i don't change ever the aspect ratio. (only if i want 4:3)

if the movie is in 1:85:1 it fulfills the screen. If it's in 2:35:1 i get black bars on top and botton as i should have.

what i'm missing here? :confused:

it will still do that. What it won't do is 4:3 automatically, much as your projector won't now!

Originally posted by Liam McLaughlin
There may also be a version of the plasma aspect ratio switcher from Andrew_B that will auto-operate the HD if you can't bring yourself to use the remote control :D
I will be one of the first in line for this upgrade to Andrew_B's excellent product.

Having it work with an iScan HD will be excellent.

StooMonster

EDIT: to get the post into English, what is up with my typing today?

Doesn't look like the RS232 interface on the HD will allow for aspect ratio control :( Maybe Dale could you confirm?

Doesn't look like the RS232 interface on the HD will allow for aspect ratio control :( Maybe Dale could you confirm?
IIRC over on the US board Dale said that anything you can do via the remote control and/or discrete codes you will also be able to do via RS232.

Now whether that makes it to the very first release of software, one can only guess; but I am sure it will arrive as a feature.

In the meantime, a component I've been looking for ages is available...
KA150S.JPG

Scart to RGBS convertor plug

Keene item code KA150S and don't forget the S on the end, for £5.99. Nice timing Keene!

I would need to do is mod this puppy to work with Andrew_B's switcher box, and I can choose my own cables!

StooMonster

You will be able to control aspect ratio over the iScan's RS-232 port. However, this capability will not be in the product as initially shipped, but will be added later through a downloadable software upgrade. To make sure that our control interface is up to snuff, we've contracted with a developer of automation control software to help us specify, develop, and test this feature for the iScan HD.

- Dale Adams

Anyone got their HD in the UK yet??? Your views???

JJ

Sure would be nice to see screenshots (yes I know :)) to show close up differences between the Ultra and HD. A nice clean picture is all well and good but the increase in resolution should be the most noticable difference. I'm still at a lost to see how you can get more picture info from an SD source and make it look like an original HD broadcast source. Engineering genius eh! :cool:

My theory (totally unsubstantiated) is that you'd get a source in and upscale it to a higher resolution. It will look somewhat similar to zooming in a source on HTPC. Then cleaning up the bits inbetween leaving a sort of anti aliased picture.

Liam,
You promised it'd be here last week !
Steve.

I never "promised" :blush:

Merely forwarded on what I hear on the grapevine so to speak! The latest is that it's due into the country today/monday but I can't imagine that's actually gonna happen!!!!

Seriously thinking about going for the HD now, if just to help sort out lip sync!! ;)

JJ

I've noticed that the audio delay on the HD is only for digital sources.

Is there any way to cope with audio delay for analogue sources as my NTL box only has analogue out???

The only thing I can think of is using a analogue to digital converter like this: http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?DIGAC

Would this be OK??

JJ

Most people here seem to use audio devices by Behringer for analogue audio delay. (They usually do a lote more than just that, but that's what they get used for here)

Can't remember models used but just do a search on Behringer & you'll get a few come up.

Yeah, I know about these, but thats yet another box. Audio delay is one of the (small) reasons for the HD over the normal ultra.

JJ

Getting serious about getting this now, so some questions...

Is it still really worth considering the HD over the standard Ultra, on pure video terms, when I only have a SD display?

If I can output 60Hz from the HD, would this allow me to use DVI into my PWD6 for PAL and NTSC signals? (as I know the PWD6 DVI has problems with PAL 50Hz)

Could I use the keene RGBS adapter to output direct from my NTL box without using a JS Tech converter?

Cheers

JJ

Is there any way to cope with audio delay for analogue sources as my NTL box only has analogue out???

Really, really long interconnects:D

Thanks guys, I have the audio bit sussed now - anyhow this isn't what worries me...

More interested in answers to the difficult questions!!! ;)

JJ

Is it still really worth considering the HD over the standard Ultra, on pure video terms, when I only have a SD display?

It's definitely worth considering, as to whether it's worth it to you is another story! It will be better than the Ultra and will provide an excellent base for any future upgrade to high-res plasma or projector.

If I can output 60Hz from the HD, would this allow me to use DVI into my PWD6 for PAL and NTSC signals? (as I know the PWD6 DVI has problems with PAL 50Hz)

If all goes well then the HD should work with Panasonic DVI, although waiting for someone to actually try it out with a final production copy of the iScan might be an idea!!!

Could I use the keene RGBS adapter to output direct from my NTL box without using a JS Tech converter?

If that's a standard scart to 4 RCA lead then yes!!

That a-d converter should do the job BTW - don't know if there are any quality issues though...

Cheers Liam - good feedback...

I am trying to arrange for a home demo to see the improvement over the ultra...

Opinion seems to be that Panny DVI should be OK with HD as you can force the iScan not to use the seemingly problematic 50Hz - yeah be nice to get some feedback when someone manages to do it - a future project for me anyhow, but be nice to route everything from the iscan to the plaz via DVI...

yeah, standard scart=>4RCA, also from keene...bit simpler than RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV like at the mo...

Pretty sure I will go the way of the A/D from keene - it is only for NTL so not too fussed about quality. Do you think it will preseve the Dolby Pro Logic signal embedded in the analogue audio??

JJ

Originally posted by Jasonjo

Pretty sure I will go the way of the A/D from keene - it is only for NTL so not too fussed about quality. Do you think it will preseve the Dolby Pro Logic signal embedded in the analogue audio??

Sorry mate i've not a clue! Also, Dale says the audio delay is fixed to the amount of delay caused by the video processing - in the case of NTL and Sky the processing is not the only cause of audio sync problems so the Behringer may be the better product anyway... only advantage I can see of Keene converter is easier switching but your pronto can handle that either way

Also, Dale says the audio delay is fixed to the amount of delay caused by the video processing - in the case of NTL and Sky the processing is not the only cause of audio sync problems so the Behringer may be the better product anyway...
A minor correction: The iScan's audio delay is determined by the video processing mode so that it can be matched to the actual video processing being performed at the time. However, the user can also add an additional delay to this if desired. It is adjustable in 1 mS increments.

- Dale Adams

Hi, has anyone got any idea when they will be available. Charlie

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom