DVDO iScan HD SLI question

StooMonster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
If my DVDO iScan HD has SDI input, can I output this over analogue output?

StooMonster

Yes, the SDI signal has no DRM restrictions or encryption, so it can be output over analogue - or it will go out over DVI without HDCP engaged.

Good, because I bought an SDI card for iScan HD on eBay -- for very reasonable price. Just need to get my Arcam DV27+ modified now.

I understand that other digital signals, like DVI, can not be output over analogue -- is this correct. Obviously excluding HDCP signals.

StooMonster

As long as the digital signal is not HDCP then it can be output over analogue. This will work with DVI or HDMI. However, most DVDs have copy protection enabled (except, for instance, those you create yourself) and this will switch the HDCP on in DVD players, so non-HDCP sources are rare.
To feed a non-HDCP DVI/HDMI signal into your scaler it would have to come from a HTPC graphics card DVI port or via a nifty box that converts it to non-HDCP form. I have read somewhere that there are moves afoot to build HDCP into graphics card chipsets in future.

So if I connect my PC to iScan HD with DVI rather than analogue VGA, the iScan HD will output the signal over analogue output?

Really?

StooMonster

StooMonster said:
So if I connect my PC to iScan HD with DVI rather than analogue VGA, the iScan HD will output the signal over analogue output?

Really?

StooMonster

Of course it wont, but you knew that already StooMonster.

And whilst I don't know that answer to your original question, I don't think the presence or otherwise of DRM is a good yardstick to use. The existing behaviour with the DVI, however, is.

Have you tried asking DVDO ? Or PM'ing Dale ?

Cheers, Carl.

Slight correction, and a small serving of humble pie :) ...

DVDO FAQ said:
For the DVI input ....
If the incoming signal is not HDCP protected, and if it is at a resolution of 480p, then it can be scaled by the iScan HD and output as an analog component, analog RGBHV, or DVI signal.

... from which I'd infer that if it's not 480p, then it can't be output via an analog output.

Yes, the analogue outs will work. The idea behind HDCP encryption is copy protection, so if a scaler receives a copy protected signal (HDCP encrypted) then under its licence agreement it must encrypt its output (and switch the analogue off). However, if the input is not copy protected (i.e. no HDCP present) then it doesn't have to switch its analogue outs off.
SDI doesn't have copy protection so the analogue outs stay on.
Non-HDCP DVI doesn't have copy protection so the analogue outs stay on.

Here's a quote from the Lumagen manual "For HDCP encrypted DVD-D sources, they must be re-encrypted for output. So analog output is disabled in this case". This doesn't apply to non-encrypted cases and there was a lot of discussion about this with Patrick Harkin (from Lumagen) on avsforum when they first announced the Lumagen DVI (its a huge thread). People who plug their PCs into the Lumagen and then display the desktop and use it for browsing - which is definitely not HDCP encrypted - use this feature.

Okay, first off I don't have any HDCP sources. I am getting DVD player SDI moded, and have HTPC plugged into iScan HD. My Panny5-50" plasma only accepts analogue input (for all intents and purposes).

This is where I've had issue before... is it better to "pass through" a VGA signal from PC, or connection PC to iScan via DVI? Thinking about it for a moment, "pass though" means no processing whereas DVI input means iScan will digitise the PC signal. Answered my own question.

However, I have tried playing with plugging PC into DVI and outputting via iScan VGA but couldn't get a picture -- which is partly why I asked the question -- I assume it was to do with my PowerStrip setting to get 1368x768 over DVI, but it couls also be signal being limited to 480p.

But next year, when I replace plasma with 1920x1080 HDMI capable one, I should switch PC input on scaler to DVI; and use DVI "pass through"

Still, in the meantime looking forward to SDIed DVD player.

StooMonster

Stu,

Is Elliot doing it? Check out my results over at avt.

He did my Denon DVD-3800 SDI mode and very nice it is too :)

SDI into my Iscan HD, thank you very much...keep me sorted until HD-DVD, knowing this is probably the best I am ever going to get DVD to look...

I run analogue from Iscan HD to my Panny PWD6 using RGB.

JJ

Jasonjo said:
Stu,

Is Elliot doing it? Check out my results over at avt.

He did my Denon DVD-3800 SDI mode and very nice it is too :)

SDI into my Iscan HD, thank you very much...keep me sorted until HD-DVD, knowing this is probably the best I am ever going to get DVD to look...

I run analogue from Iscan HD to my Panny PWD6 using RGB.

JJ
Hello Jasonjo, long time no see (posts).

Yes, Elliot when he answers his emails; which isn't as frequently as I would wish. Thinking about PMing him at avt.

Yes, I want to SDI my Arcam FMJ DV27+ into iScan HD; got DVDO SDI card off eBay from US supplier for little over £100. Plan to run analogue from iScan HD to Panny5 using RGBHV on BNC, figure that when I replace plasma with 1920x1080 HDMI model I'll still use SDI for DVD.

StooMonster

any macrovision equipped device will engage HDCP on HDMI, most DVDs

StooMonster said:
Hello Jasonjo, long time no see (posts).

Yes, Elliot when he answers his emails; which isn't as frequently as I would wish. Thinking about PMing him at avt.

Yes, I want to SDI my Arcam FMJ DV27+ into iScan HD; got DVDO SDI card off eBay from US supplier for little over £100. Plan to run analogue from iScan HD to Panny5 using RGBHV on BNC, figure that when I replace plasma with 1920x1080 HDMI model I'll still use SDI for DVD.

StooMonster

Yeah...we had a baby recently, which kinda limits my time online :rolleyes:

Elliot will be in touch I am sure, he is a pretty busy guy, but worth waiting for...

Pretty much exactly the same setup as me connectivity wise, sure you won't be disappointed :clap:

You have PM for links :)

Cheers

JJ

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom