1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDO Iscan HD - One Box to rule them all !!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dazzbat, Aug 29, 2004.

1. dazzbat

dazzbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone out there help me with my dilema.

I have a Panny 42" 6 series Plasma with 852X480 pixel resolution.
    I am connected with a Panny tuner box and Terminal Board.
    I have been looking to upgrade this set up for some time but am unsure which is the best approach.

Initially i decided to go for a Component Terminal Board and connect my DVD (interlaced) and SKY+ (via a JS Technologies RGB-YPbPr converter).
    This would be achieved through the video switching capabilities of my DENON AV3802 Amp.
    I was quite happy with the prospects of this set up untill I started reading up on the DVDO Iscan HD .
    This sounds like a real quality bit of kit and I guess it should improve my picture far better than my initial plans (which are on hold as a result).

But here are my dilemas, 1) Regarding Iscan's scaling.
    The Panny Plasma has a pixel res of 852X480.
    I am led to believe that both DVD and SKY+ have a broadcast res of 720X480 NTSC or 720X576 PAL.
    Therefore it would seem like a lot of money to spend on such a small increase in scaling (to achieve true 1 to 1 pixel mapping).
    Would I benefit from using a very high output res like 720P, 1080I or 1080P.
    I would imagine this would really confuse my Panny.
    Or could it be that I am just missing the point entirely?

2) Regarding Iscan's deinterlacing.
    I was thinking about upgrading my ROTEL RDV985 DVD player.
    It has been a great piece of kit which I bought at the dawn of DVD all of 5 years ago but I think alas it is starting to show it's age.
    So, what do I replace it with if I also have an Iscan.
    Why buy a deinterlacer if my DVD source is allready in that domain.
    So again, would the Iscan be wasting my money or have I missed the point again?

3) SDi or not SDi?
    Would I be best placed getting my ROTEL converted with a SDi output (if ineed this is possible) and then buying a Iscan with the SDi input installed.

4) Most important.
    Will the significantly more expensive Iscan alternative to my initial idea deliver a significant improvement in picture performance.
    I hear so many glowing reviews about the Panny and the JS converter.
    This is why I was convinced I had stumbled upon a winning combination.
    Now I'm confused and not so sure anymore.

Cheers;

DAZZBAT

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Dazzbat

01. The Panasonic Tuner is not great and taking it out of your system is a good idea.

02. Your Display will accept Interlaced and Progressive Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) signals and has its own in-built 'Cinema Mode' to add film 2:2 and 2:3 'pull down' Reconstruction to its Progressive Scan processing.

03. HD looks better than SD on the Display due to over sampling and other factors involved in the video signal so even though you don't see all the detail of an HD signal on your 852x480 Display the image will look smoother, more three dimensional and have more depth than any SD signal.

04. A JS Technology RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV converter is an excellent relatively low cost interface between your SD Interlaced sources and the Display.

05. Using a DVDO iScanHD or Lumagen VisionDVI (or HDP) will pay dividends with all of your SD sources and in the case of the Lumagen also with HD and HDCP enabled Digital signals.

The 2:2 and 2:3 Film Reconstruction, Motion Processing, Chroma Up sampling fix, Video Oversampling (to 720P or 1080i) and many other filters/features in either processor put them way ahead of the Displays in-built processor (even when your inputting RGB via a JS Technology converter).

06. NEW DVD player - keep in mind the DVD player provides Video and Audio so if partnering a NEW DVD player with a Video Processor your looking for a Player to act as Transport to deliver decent Interlaced Video PLUS Digital Audio to your AV Receiver.

Unless your DVD player is messing around when reading disc's I'd be tempted to hold off and use it with an external Video processor then look to getting a better chassis as and when budget allows.

07. SDI - not sure the Rotel can be modified to output SDI! If it can and you go with one of the DVDO or Lumagen processors with an SDI Input card then its worth looking at this option.

08. Digital Audio Delay - you'll find you'll start to notice Video and Audio going out of sync once you introduce a Video Processor and unless you have a Digital Audio Delay in your AV Receiver you'll require either a Video Processor with an in built Audio delay function (iScanHD) or use a stand alone Digital Audio Delay (c£200).

Best regards

Joe

3. dazzbat

dazzbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your comments. They have helped me make a decsision at long last.
    I think the DVDO is the one for me :)

What output would you recommend, RGBHV (through VGA), COMPONENT (through VGA) or DVI?

DAZZBAT

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    dazzbat

The most 'consistent' option is Progressive RGBHV via Analogue HD15 (VGA) to the Displays HD15 (VGA) socket.

With some patience the DVI input can and does work - though its really not that different to a well set-up Analogue connection.

Once you master the RGHBV you can always introduce a DVI card and see if it pays any dividends for you - we usually keep a DVI card in our demo stock that can be loaned out to potential customers.

I'd also suggest a decent HD15 (VGA) cable and a tune up DVD such as AVIA or DVE will be essential - DVDO use the AVIA 'Guide to Home Theatre' disc as a reference in the guide to setting up the iScanHD.

Best regards

Joe