1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDO Iscan HD info???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Arty1, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Arty1

Arty1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have recently set up a DVDO Iscan HD scaler for my Pioneer 50" MXE plasma screen. Inputs are Phillips DTR 1500 digi box, Humax 5400 sat STB, Technomate 5500CIP+ sat STB and finally I have replaced my Denon 2800Mk11 Multi region DVD player with the new Toshiba RD-XS32SB.
    First point I must say I am disapointed in the Tosh DVD as it takes over two minutes to read a disc sometimes where my Denon took everything in its stride instantly, which is why I am reluctant to sell it.
    However to the point. Could anyone advise me as to the best way to connect my kit up to the Iscan pleas? Also how best to configure it to the plasma.
    As of now I have the Digi box connected to the Tosh via scarts and the Tosh is connected to the Iscan via component cables. The Humax is coupled to the Iscan via composite. The Technomate sat reciever is connected to the Iscan via a SVHS cable.
    The Iscan is set to 1400 by 788 ( approx ). I would like to set it to the best and highest res possible. When I set it to 1080p I cannot get the picture to fit the screen properly. My settings are all based on 50Hz, when I try to change the picture size changes also.
    As can be seen I am new to this, having changed from a Rs RGB to plasma convertor I have not seen a significant difference in the picture quality! Hence the question. Or is it that the RS convertor is such a superb product?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Arty1 :smashin:

2. Arty1

Arty1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This must be a difficult one, or am I asking the wrong questions.
    Can I improve on the way I have set up my kit? Please ,anyone? :lease:

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Set the iScan to 1024 x 768 output. It's not a case of highest possible, it's whatever works best with the plasma and with the MXE1 the best signal to send it is it's exact resolution. This will remove a howl host of scaling errors that probably exist in the picture at the moment.

Second ensure highest possible quality signals from your source devices. Ensure the scart from STB into Tosh DVDr is RGB not composite (if poss), and that the Tosh is sending Interlaced video to allow the iScan to do all prog scan and scaling duties.

Set the iScan to do 50Hz from PAL sources and 60Hz from NTSC. Set the plasma to FRC mode 2 (which converts 50Hz to 100Hz and keeps 60Hz at 60Hz).

Then once this is all done you need to actually calibrate the display and scaler to get contrast, brightness, sharpness, colour etc etc all setup correctly. This is easier with DVE or AVIA calibration discs (or just pay for an ISF calibration and not have to do anything!).

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Arty1

As Liam says if your into AV DIY then plough on - if not your possibly better paying for someone to come in and A. Configure the Processor B. Calibrate the Display and Sources.

Liam's gotten ahead do of himself today :) you say Pio 50MXE - exactly which model do you have? The 50" Pioneer models all have 1280x768 pixels so that's potentially the 'Optimum' output resolution - though that's only one part of the equation and no you don't want to be outputting all signals at 50Hz; your 60Hz R1 DVD's will look pants!!!

Have you uploaded the latest iScanHD Firmware - there are a fair few additional output resolutions on offer - inc 1280x768!

Once you've identified which MXE display you have and set the HD to output 1280x768 you can start to fine tune the system - keep in mind the relationship between the HD and your Display is Interactive; adjust one and you may have to readjust the other.

Best regards

Joe

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Whoops! 1280x768 then, and if you're an older MXE owner ignore all that I just said about FRC!!!

Good thing I've got Joe to follow up all my posts ;)

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello Liam

I think proof reading is charged by the word :)

Speak soon

Joe

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL! With my average post length at the moment I must have a huge bill by now :cool: