1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDO iScan HD & ALIS Hitachi 1024x1024 plasma

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by laser, Apr 13, 2005.

1. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

Is anyone using the DVDO iScan HD scaler with an ALIS panel. If so, are there clear noticeable improvements in PQ from using the scaler on a ALIS panel.

The kit I'm using is Hitachi 42PMA400E (1024x1024) and Pioneer DV-668AVi (via component).

Thanks.

2. DaveRichardson

DaveRichardson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an iscan HD+ and Hitachi 42PD5200. I connected the scaler to the panel using the DVI connection and the output set to 1080i60. The scaler has overcome most of the annoying movement artifacts introduced by the Hitachi processing (coloured banding etc). The biggest improvement is to SKY pictures.

Dave

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks. Colour banding is one problem that is noticeable on the 42PMA400E, especially on the New Line logo and close shops of people's faces.

I will I'll attempt to get a demo of the iScan HD+

4. Franky74

Franky74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Dave, could you tell us if you use sepcial settings for the HD+. I own a Hitachi 5300 as well as a Sony VPL-HS10 proj. and I'm wondering about buying the DVDO. If you had to define special settings for the Hitachi, could you put them in this thread please :D. Thanks in advance.

Frank.

5. DaveRichardson

DaveRichardson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Frank,
    No special settings. I connected the HD+ to the Hitachi 42PD5200 DVI input (designated RGB1). I set the scaler to output 1080i at 60Hz and the TV input to "DVI-STB". That was it - a much improved picture.

I have tried 1080i at 50Hz which gave a smoother movement ie less judder but at the expense of some of the artifacts becoming visible. To me the judder was barely noticable (you can see it on the Bloomberg news channel which has continuous horizontaly scrolling captions but not on normal day to day viewing) and therefore chose 60 Hz.

I did experiment with the scaler 1024 x 1024 output - which required me to set the TV input to DVI-PC. But after much playing around with test signals - I just reset it to 1080i60 and went back to watching TV! One day when I get bored, I might try again.

The only "issue" with the 1080i setting (IMHO) is that there is some overscan. The Hitachi does not rescale the picture it just clips it to display 1024 lines of the 1080. There was much discussion on this in other threads - but I do not find it noticable om real pictures. The overscan is similar to that on CRTs.

I notice you say you have a 42PD5300. Does that TV have the DVI input? If not you would need to connect via the VGA input and I have not tried that alternative to see which settings look best. Maybe someone else has?

Hope this helps

Dave

6. Franky74

Franky74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your answer Dave.
    You are right, I have a 5300 with the media box. I think this box is nothing but a scaler. Nevertheless, I still don't understand if the dvi input used by this media box could be use by a "real" scaler like the dvdo hd+. This would be nice to be known. In case it can't be, as you said the vga input could be tested. I planned to do this next week, not with a scaler but with a pc. There is also a vga input on the media box itself, but I have no clue what the box will do to a vga signal (I know from the manual that the media box accept pc signal at least up to 1280x1024).
    I'm actually very curious to know what would happen if a dvi signal from a scaler or pc was input into the dvi input of the 5300 (the dvi input normally used by the media box).

Frank.

7. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    dont hold me to this but the way i read up on it when the pd5000 was released last year was that the screen itself was the same for all models (5000, 5100, 5200 and 5300) ie with same dvi and vga sockets on the screen (is there a vga beside the dvi on yours?) but the 5100 and 5200 (same as 5100 but with rf input aswell) have video cards attached while the 5300 has the media box
    i know the label on back of mine says pd5000 (its a pd5100 btw) and any ones ive seen on display that i have seen behind also say pd5000

i also have an iscan attached and like yourself tried 1024x1024 and disliked it a lot but found 1024x768 (xga) very good although with a little judder but no overscan (had to apply some for sky) this wasnt much disimilar to 720p@60hz picture wise but with 720p the overscan was the same as 1080i and the test patterns where better with xga than 720p.
    i noticed a little flickering noise now and again in the backround with 1080i but if you switched to xga this was eliminated and after watching for a while found that to me the picture looked more solid, worth a try to see for yourself if you ever feel board

now use 1080i@50 for football as this would be the only time judder on 60hz or xga would bother me and use xga for other viewing

8. Franky74

Franky74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gam for your info.
    the reason I asked all this is mainely because on Hitachi web site, in the FAQ section for the 42PD5x00 series you found a very strange thing saying you can't connect a pc to the dvi input of the 5300 ... I don't understand what this means exactly and what would be the result of inputing somehting else than the media-box on that dvi input. Also, I do have a vga input together with the dvi one on the screen itself, but if I remember well one of numerous manuals (yes there are several ones on single sheets of paper) joined to the set, they said this vga was not accessible(!?). I really need to make some testing.
    Thanks again for helping guys.

Frank.

9. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    i would have took it that this was because the media box itself is using it

on my remote control there are buttons for rg1(dvi) and rgb2(vga) if thats any more help to you to be able to switch between them. i also presume you can use the buttons beneath the screen to do this but have never checked

10. Franky74

Franky74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The remote only refers to the media-box itself. I will have to check more carefully about all this. What is sure is that the mediabox sends a signal to the screen via the dvi input; but what this signal is is a mistery to me.
    If I can get some info I will post them in this thread.

Frank

11. Franky74

Franky74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The media box is handling the vga entry quite well. I was able to use various resolution from 800x600 to 1900x1080 (and also 1280x768) and they all worked. Firsthermore, the signal is not rescaled by the media box: the resolution effectivezly changed on the plasma screen.
    Now about the HD test via this vga entry. I used various wmv9 files found on microsoft site. The picture was outstanding: clear like crystal and stable ... very stable. I'm not well used with HD so I can't honestly tell if it is what I sohuld expect or not, but it was clearly far better than what is ourput via my Nokia digital receiver (Canalsat).

I tried to input something on vga imput on the screen itself. No chance with that. The buttons under the screen seemed even disabled ... I definitely need to try to use the dvi inpuit itself ...

However, I'm happy to have been able to do those small testings. Cause they seem to prove that with an HD receiver able to output on vga (i.e. RGB, or YUV with a VGA adapter) I should be able to take advantage of 720p and even 1080i via this media-box pc input.

Frank.

12. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, I'm interested in buying a DVDo HD+ fro my Hitachi 42PD5200. I would prefer to see one at work first. Are there any places around the Leigh, Wigan, Bolton & Manchester areas that stock this specific scaler?
    Cheers, Neil
    ;)

13. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Where did you get the Iscan HD+ and for how much?

I have a Hitachi PD5200 (not H version) and want to make sure it will be compatible with the Sky HD service (albeit with the accepted 1080'@25hz it may be already)