DVDO i-SCAN NTSC/PAL line doubler

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Adam M, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Has any one tried the dvdo line doubler.

Last time I checked they had just released a pal/ntsc version and I was wondering if it really is worth the outlay. It seems very cheap compared with other line doublers.

Does it really improve things?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The iScan is generally reckoned to be a great little product. It's good with film and video material thanks to 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown and works well with Pal and NTSC material.

You should notice a big reduction in jaggies especially with non-anamorphic letterbox DVD.

There are a couple of issues. There is a small delay in the picture/sound sync. This isn't a fault, more a characteristic of the processing. It is also seen on some very expensive Faroudja processors.

Projector compatibility: not all projectors can do the 16:9 squeeze on a line doubled image in the same way they can with ordinary video inputs. A couple of Toshiba MT3 owners have found this out the hard way and now have their iScans up for sale - so you might pick up a bargain.

Regards