1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvdo Hd

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sneaky, Jan 9, 2004.

1. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have seen information about the above and I am a little bit lost about what it does.

1. Am I right in thinking you can plug your DVD player into it and it can upscale your signal upto 1080i/1080p from the 480i DVD.

2. Is this what they call a scaler - If it is would it be better to use the scaler on the HD as opposed to the Scaler on the HS20 that I am looking at buying.

3. Does this do the same job as a HTPC.

Sorry for the stupid questions but reading the literature at times baffles me.

Thanks

Chris

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    this is deinterlacer and a scaler. There is a thread all about it in here. It should do alot better than that in your hs20 and until we see it, we wont know if it would look as good as a pc solution

ad

3. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Buns,

Yes I read the thread and was totally confused.

Am I right in thinking that if I show a 4:3 or a 16:9 source through the projector, it will mask the screen accordingly.

Chris

4. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes.

When initially setting up the iScan HD you would tell it what shape your display is. Then, for each different aspect ratio of a video source, the iScan will correctly fit that source to the display. Right now you have to tell it what the aspect ratio of the source is. That function may become more automatic in the future, at least for sources that can tell the iScan what the source aspect ratio is.

- Dale Adams

5. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dale,

How good is the masking.

I am trying to work out what type of projector and screen to get (16:9 or 4:3).

With the HD it seems I can get a 4:3 that does 16:9 with a 4:3 screen and it gives the ultimate flexibilty.

I asked above about the upscaling - is it right that it will turn a 480i into a 1080p or i signal.

A lot of the guy on here are HTPC enthusiasts and go on about how much better it is (Im an IT Manager and know the short comings about computers etc and dont want to be pratting about when I get home just to watch a film - watching a film is something I do for fun) how close to the quality Nirvana that they so worship is the HD to the HTPC.

Chris

6. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm not sure I understand the question. It's either masked or it's not. What would you say distinguishes good masking from bad masking?

Yes, that's correct. It can take in a 480i, 480p, 576i or 576p and deinterlace/scale any of them to 1080i or 1080p (or many, many other resolutions/timings).

If you feed the iScan HD with a quality source with a digital interface - say, a good DVD player via an SDI connection - the quality should be excellent. I can't believe that this combination would give up anything to a HTPC. It may well be the opposite, in fact. For instance, I've never heard any HTPC advocate explain to me just how they can actually get frame-locked output (i.e., where the output frame rate is absolutely locked to the input frame rate), even for a simple 50 Hz or 60 Hz output, let alone for 48 Hz or 72 Hz with a 24 Hz film source.

- Dale Adams

7. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dale,

That's exactly the type of information that I am looking for.

I am a newbie so some of this is quite daunting at the moment.

Can you tell me what is meant by a SDI connection.

What I meant by by good masking and how I distinguish it would be and again probably a ridiulous thing to say but how black is the black.(does that actually matter).

Let me get this right - i run a cable from the HD to the projector - Presumably a DVI cable will be better than a component cable (is there actually much difference in quality.

I then plug my DVD, PS2, VCR, Sky box etc into the HD and away I go. Is there much difference in quality when you do it this way as opposed to running seperate cable to the projector.

When is available over here and how much will it be.

Sorry for the daft questions but just trying to get my head round it.

Thanks

Chris

8. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It's a serial digital interface (SDI) for interlaced video, more typically found on studio equipment. Modified DVD players are available which have had an SDI interface added to them (as none are shipped this way).

The mask levels on the iScan HD can be configured by the user. These can be set below black level (if your system permits this).

It all depends on the quality and type of your projector and its internal video processing. If you have a fixed-pixel projector (i.e., not a CRT) then DVI is usually better than an analog connection, although it depends to some extent on how the projector handles a DVI input. Some projectors are more limited with respect to adjustability than they are with an analog connection. If your projector has a very good video processing section, then you may not see much difference with the iScan HD (although having only a single connection going to the projector can be useful). It varies from projector to projector. We've seen dramatic differences with some, but certainly not all, projectors.

I don't yet know what the availability outside the US will be. The MSRP over here is $1499.

- Dale Adams

9. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dale,

I will be being buying either a Sony HS20 or the New Sharp 200.

If your projector has a very good video processing section, then you may not see much difference with the iScan HD (although having only a single connection going to the projector can be useful). It varies from projector to projector. We've seen dramatic differences with some, but certainly not all, projectors.

End Quote

Again sorry to ask a daft question but If it doesnt make much difference to the quality of the picture - what is the point in having a HD.

Something else that confuses me is - I thought if I was playing a DVD which is 480I the HD upscales it to what I decide, there should be an increase in quality. (That in itself confused me initially because I had always thought that you couldn't get any better than the source.

Chris

10. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    There's probably no point if the reason you're interested in an iScan HD is improved picture quality. The level of video processing in projectors varies widely, however. If you have a projector with very good video processing, then the iScan HD may well not improve the image quality. The reverse may be true, though, in which case the iScan HD does what you want.

If you have a fixed-pixel projector, then something has to deinterlace and scale the 480i source to make it compatible with the projector's imaging element. This conversion could be done in the projector, or could be done in an external video processor. If the conversion is done poorly in the projector, then replacing the projector's processing with something better will result in an improvement to the image.

- Dale Adams

11. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clarifying that Dale.

If that's the case, if I bought a HD, a DVD and a projector.

I would want to use the transport of the DVD without Progressive, use the HD to scale and de-interlace and the projector just to show the film without doing anything to the video stream.

Pretty much like buying a receiver as opposed to processor and amp.

Just a shame you have to pay for the deinterlacing and scaling bits in the DVD and projector, unless you can buy a decent DVD that doesn't do the progressive scan bit.

Chris

12. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Err yea, there's plenty to choose from!

13. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now then Cyber,

Care to name some good un's.

I have a Sony 525d at the moment which is about 4 years old.

Chris

14. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sneaky, note that the HS20 has a native res of 1388×788 and the projectors internal scaler normally fills this with the source.

Most external scalers use the default HD res of 1280x720 or 1920 x 1080 and rarely allow custom res for the output. So you'll either be scaling twice or only using a 1280x720 block in the middle of the HS20 LCD panels.

I know I know, more complications. ;)

I'll be playing with this tonight as just got a DVI cable to connect the DCDi output of my DVD to the HS20, I'll see how much differance I can see with doing the scaling at either end.

The only having one cable to the HS20 would still be very handy as running good component/rgb/svideo and DVI over a long run can be expensive and bulky!

15. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ailean,

I would be grateful if you could keep in touch with your findings.

Which DVD player do you have?

Thanks

Chris

16. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,
    I've had a bit of a play and I really couldn't notice much of a differance with the scaling. I'm happy enough with 720p from my Denon A11 DVI to the HS20 which then scales this to its native 1388x788. I am however still using a not very flat white bed sheet as a screen so fine detail could be missing. ;)

1080i from the DVD looks fine too but I am having problems feeding 480p/i to the HS20 (okay via component). I get horizontal lines flickering about the picture (about 5-6). Higher res sources are fine including native 1388x788 from a PC and 480p from a PC is okay.

17. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i think i read in avsforum that iscan HD has a built in pre-defined option of: 1388x788 Output

18. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Actually, it's 1366x768. You can always create your own new output resolution or just tweak one of the predefined ones. If there's enough interest in a predefined output format for the HS20 we'd consider adding it. Does anyone know exactly what timing the HS20 wants?

- Dale Adams

19. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a bit unsure why I would need a DVDO HD. But I like gadgets.

I like the idea of lots of inputs and one output with no loss of quality.

Would it not be better if I could get a quality DVD without Progressive, a PJ without a Scaler and line doubler.

The DVDO HD would do the scaling and Line doubling very nicely thank you.

It seems daft that you have multiple bits of kit duplicating progressive and scaling - all that does is increase the price of everything with bits that you do not use.

Thanks

Chris