• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVDO Edge with 2 displays (720 & 1080)

nick1c

Standard Member
I have just bought a 2nd hand edge to go with my processor (it doesn't accept HDMI inputs & the Edge is modded to output audio via SPDIF). The inputs will be an Oppo DVD & Foxsat box.
My displays are a 720p Panasonic plasma & an Optoma HD20 (1080p). As the rear of the Edge is easily accessible I plan to just swap HDMI leads between the 2 displays. Does the Edge automatically detect the resolution of the attached display? If not which one would I be best off setting it up for?

Thanks

Nick

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I don't think you can set it up for two different output resolutions, you'll have to go into the menu each time I think. The quick and easy option might be to set it to output at 1080i as your 720p TV will probably accept this input and downscale it, your projector will just deinterlace it so you won't lose pixels. I used a HDMI splitter when I had mine (now have a Lumagen Mini3D) so I just went into the different menus when I was using my projector but my TV is 1080p (just not 24p capable, but that only matters for BluRays which I only watch on the projector).

Kilian

I'd try setting AUTO: it should detect the maximum input resolution the display will accept (not necessarily the native resolution). I don't know if the Panasonic accepts 1080p, if not the Edge should output 1080i. It should output 1080p to the Optoma so it avoids de-interlacing.

The 24p setting is separate, and will be ignored if display isn't compatible. If you want to keep 50i as 50i and 60i as 60i, i.e. same frame rate that's another setting.

nick1c

Standard Member
I have set it to auto select the output and had no problems with it recognising the different displays...........but swapping the leads over isn't quite as easy as I thought & so I am thinking about other solutions. I gather from Danny at Neet that a simple HDMI splitter will not let the Edge swap from recognising one display to the other. He suggested getting a splitter without synchronised outputs. These seem to be a fair bit of cash - would fixing the Edges output to 1080i & using a normal splitter give a good result?

Thanks

Nick

Avi

Distinguished Member
I have set it to auto select the output and had no problems with it recognising the different displays...........but swapping the leads over isn't quite as easy as I thought & so I am thinking about other solutions. I gather from Danny at Neet that a simple HDMI splitter will not let the Edge swap from recognising one display to the other. He suggested getting a splitter without synchronised outputs. These seem to be a fair bit of cash - would fixing the Edges output to 1080i & using a normal splitter give a good result?

Thanks

Nick

Typically if using a video processor you would want to avoid an interlaced output as this can a) lead to unnecessary processing steps in the VP i.e. conversion to progressive and back as there's usually no pass through; b) still leave critical de-interlacing to the display device and performance can vary widely. In addition display based de-interlacing may be compromised by how the VP regenerates interlaced output.

Avi

Ianfromnotts

I have a cheap ebay sourced manual switch box "two in one out" used in reverse to feed my 1080 projector and 720 lcd monitor. I just press the appropriate button on the switch box to swap between the 2. The Edge remembers the set up configuation and auto changes

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom