1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDmad.com

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by paulus, May 23, 2005.

1. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone used DVDMad.com? I've seen a title I want quite cheap there but I've never heard of the company before or where they are based.

Cheers,

Paulus.

2. s1hastie

s1hastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Looks dodgy to me, they have Be Cool on region 2, its not even out on region 1 till 7th of June.

3. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm suspicious that nowhere on their site does it mention where in the world they are based. There is no registered office, no contact details other than by email.

Here is a bit from their terms and conditions "..... DVDMAD.com may seek injunctive or other appropriate relief in any state or federal court in the state of UK...".

The "state of UK" bit seems rather odd to me. I know other people joke that we are just another US state but I didn't think that was set in stone yet ;)

4. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Never heard of them before, but on their homepage under the information section, there's a heading entitled Printable Catalog. It has the address as Friern Barnet in London...no phone number though. Couldn't comment on whether they are legit or not.

5. kmartoman

kmartoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't Be Cool under the coming soon section?

I'm new, I know (and don't worry, I'm not a secret spy of that site).

I actually joined to ask a question about it (I also asked it on IMDb where I found out about dvdmad.com)

They're selling the 8 DVD Star Wars trilogy set and it contains all the Episodes apart from Episode III and it also has bonus content. Its really cheap for £28.99 (much cheaper than the 4 disc set that retails for £34.99 to £39.99) and I might buy it (since it must be a limited edition set and whether you're a Star Wars fan or just like movies, its pretty cool to have a boxset like this) but won't pay for it yet unless you think its good.

So is it worth paying for?

Its on the front page of DVDMad.com.

I've read the previous replies so I am cautious but I figured that some risks are worth taking and if they are genuine, which their site makes me believe that they are, then I could save a lot of money in future transactions (I'm an avid DVD collector).

6. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It seems well-done but the fact they state "Region 2" on their site logo, yet I cannot find a DVD cover with a BBFC cert on (including the 8 disc StarWars boxset), makes me think they are a con-outfit.

7. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,240
    They have Hostage listed as in stock but it isn't released until July.

Also none of the DVDs have any information with them, no details of spec, extras etc.

If they are kosher, the site seems a bit unprofessional to me. But some of their prices aren't that cheap that would make you think they are copies. It might just be a new site that they haven't got all the information uploaded yet.

Difficult to say either way.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perphaps a new company starting out but i do note some inaccuracies for example the credit card details, they claim to show the last 5 digits, usually its only the last 4 shown ( i know this for a fact as my work requires such information ) so to say 5 digits are shown in the UK is weird, maybe they're american and not used to UK practices, also spelling mistakes which i haven't usually seen at any sites i visit to buy films from and as already mentioned prices seem exceptionally too good to be true and the covers have no BBFC label on em.

If in doubt get a phone number and give em a ring for more details and also consult your local trading standards office and see if any complaints have come in and then take it from there as maybe they're just new and starting out and have to iron out a few things on their site.

9. kmartoman

kmartoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered the Star Wars trilogy off of them.

I'll let you know if my order arrives.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Since they did reply to my e-mails that gave them an extra point in my trust book.

10. kmartoman

kmartoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it today.

Its most certainly official. Everything about it was great from the packaging to the DVDs themselves. I watched Episode VI only though (its the only one I had never seen).