DVDGenie and region change

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr A, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have downloaded DVDGenie to run with powerdvd and before I try too many region changes and lock my drive on the wrong setting need a little advice.

I have checked my drive using drive info and it says it is non permanent so i reckon i am Ok to chnage regions more than five times. I have changed three times now so may only have two goes left, well that is what PowerdVd says anyway when I put the different region disc in. The autoscan is set on DVDgenie and it show as an icon in the label area or whatever it is called at the bottom right by the clock(taskbar at bottom of screen).

How do I know I have got the settings correct other than trying more than five times. Do i need to move DVDgenie into the startup menu so that it automatically starts when i turn the PC on.

Any useful advice appreciated.

2. KimBowers

KimBowers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr A,

When you try to play a DVD of the "wrong" region for PowerDVD it will complain and ask to change the region setting. This will use up one of your five lives - Don't do this.

The idea is to run DVDGenie first, set the region on the PowerDVD tab, then exit DVDGenie, then when you run PowerDVD it should run without complaining and you don't use up a life.

At least that's how it works for me with WinDVD and has been fine for many region changes.

Good Luck.
    Kim.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,635
    mmm well there is a little more to it and a little less.
    First of all (the 'less' bit), don't worry about using up 'lives' in Win DVD or Power DVD. It's reset when you run DVD genie.
    BUT (this is the 'more' bit).
    Is your DVD ROM drive region free? If not then you could use up the number of lives on that and DVD genie would not make any difference.
    Go to the DVD Firmware site in the links section and check your drive (make & model) against those in the list.
    Once the number of lives is used up, your drive may be locked to a particular region (RPC-2) and there's nothing you can do about it, your drive - and therefore your system - will be locked into that region permanently.
    Or your drive may be region free 'out of the box' (RPC-1) and there's nothing to worry about.
    Or your drive could be RPC-2 but have a firmware fix available to make it RPC-1. In which case, download and run the firmware update and hey presto.
    Making sure that your DVD ROM drive is RPC-1 or can be upgraded to RPC-1 determines which DVD ROM drive model is chosen by HCPC users. And the Firmware site in the links sections is invaluable for this reason.