• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVDA, SACD, Freeview & HDD

kuddy

Standard Member
Hi everyone, I've just joined AVForums as I've recently decided it's about time I upgraded my crappy old seperates system to some modern technology.

I've got hold of a Yamaha AX750SE amp but am looking for a decent DVD/HDD player/recorder to go with it for around £500.
I was looking at the Sony HXD710 but I can't find any reference to it playing SACD or DVDA formats.
After doing some further research, I can't seem to find anything that supports SACD, DVDA with Freeview, an HDD and DVD-RW. Am I asking for too much? :confused:

Can anyone offer up some other recorders that can do this?

bradavon78

Prominent Member
I'm afraid you are as nothing, zip, nada exists that can do the lot.

Agreed it's a pain as I too have had to go for two machines:

Pioneer 768 (I think that's the model number) - DVD-A/SACD/Up scaling
Pioneer 540 - HD/DVDr/Freeview/DivX

The 768 is better at playing DVDs it has to be said but the 540 is also very good too (if it wasn't for SACD/DVD-A I'd sell my 768 Player tbh). They're different markets I'm afraid so it's considered you need two machines.

When I move out I'll more than likely put the Recorder in the front room (it will be fine for the girlfriend and general watching) and the Player in the back dedicated room.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
True, I think a lot of people keep their recorder for recording stuff and casual playback of DVDs, but have a "better" DVD player for the playback of DVD-A and SACD material and for critical viewing.

kuddy

Standard Member
ah well. Thanks for the responses.
I'll have to live without the better audio for now then because I'm limited by space atm :(

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom