1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDA and SACD two channel?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by rigman, Jan 25, 2003.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Can you use a DVDA and SACD player on just two channel and still get the high resolution sound through the L&R analogue connectors.

Can you just place the discs in the drawer and play them ala normal CD.

I have been thinking of getting a player for my HiFi system but the player would obviously not be connected to a video source and I would not be able to wade through masses of menus to just play a disc.

thanks
    Darren

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I think you'll find that most DVD-A players need you to use display to select stuff, where as SACD (especially stand alond SACD) players are easier to use just with front panel control.

It all depends how much you want to spend ... for the best SACD look at the high end Sony and Marantz players and they don't have any video circuitary.

Victoria

3. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darren

I have a Pioneer DV-757Ai and often play DVDa and SACD without the TV on, I press play on the remote just like a plain old CD, I did the same for SACD on my previous player a Sony SCD-XB770, so you should not have a problem.

You may want to check that your amp is up to the resolution of SACD and DVDa.

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks guys

currently I have a Musical fidelity 3DCD Nuvista CD player and the M3 Nuvista integrated amp. The amp has a selection for SACD but not DVDA of which I would just use the aux input or something.

The CD player and the amp both cost 3 grand each. Now the original MF blurb claimed that the CD player sounded as good as SACD due to the upsampling and I must admit it does sound excellent.

I have never heard true SACD or DVDA but would now like to add them to my system. I am not interested in the video side as my cinema system is separate and it is not really practical to add it to that as I have THX speakers Lex MC1 (no analogue bypass) etc.

For DVDA I was thinking of maybe a Toshiba SD900E which are quite reasonably priced due to the newer model coming out. I seem to remember that they have very high build quality and got good reviews when they were released. Does anyone know if there any better sounding DVDA players out there.
    Will do some homework on the SACD players. What sort of money should I be spending to get something that will beat my Nuvista?

cheers
    Darren

5. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren-- nice set up! For SACD, it seems to me that the logical choice (assuming you want to spend £4k....!) would be (and you may not want to hear this as you already own the 3DCD player!) is the new MF Tri-Vista SACD which is in many respects a 3DCD with SACD capability. Interestingly enough, this is a 2 channel only model. MF may produce a multi-channel version later. See Hi-Fi Choice (Jan 03) for more info.

As to DVD-A, I think your idea to use a Toshiba SD900E, is the most cost effective choice for getting good quality DVD-A sound. I don't think in absolute terms, you will better this unless you start to look at things like the Meridian 500 & 800 series.

Yummy Fur

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yummy

to be honest I did not want to spend 4 grand on the trivista. I would lose too much money selling the Nu and would not really gain that much. MF really annoyed me when they announced the Trivista as they slagged SACD off in the blurb for the Nuvista. They had originally intended for the Nu to be a SACD player but changed their minds for some reason.
    What will be next, an amazing discovery of some Quad vistas for their next set of kit which amazingly sounds even better then the tri.

thanks
    Darren

7. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren, I sympathise with your frustration! As a fellow MF owner, it does get annoying when their products are replaced on what seems like a weekly basis! :mad:

The only other suggestion I can make is that perhaps you search around for some (secondhand) Sony's i.e. the original 2 channel machines. The build, as well as sound quality, was excellent. I'm sure your 3DCD will still beat them for regular CD playback though.

Yummy Fur