DVD89 with Sharp LC-32GD7e

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JaseW, Mar 21, 2006.

1. JaseW

JaseW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a bit of an odd thing happen. Connected my DVD89 to my Panny HD projector using a DVI to HDMI cable, with no problems whatsoever. Disconnected that, and used an HDMI cable to connect it to my Sharp 32GD7e.

The DVD allows you to cycle through HD formats, and this displayed fine on the LCD. However, after a few seconds all I got was grey fuzz. I tried it with the DVI cable used on my proj and the same thing happened.

Spoke to Richer (where I got the kit) and they set it up with what they had in the store, and exactlty the same thing happens. :eek: They then tried it with a Samsung HDMI equipped DVD, and had no problems.

Anyone come across incompatibility issues like this before? And is it likely to be a problem with the DVD player or the LCD? Don't want to find problems further down the line when Sky HD finally launches!

2. LostToys

LostToys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If the DVD89 was not HDMI certified, there will be some compatability issues. What you are describing is likely a bad HDMI implimentation on behalf of the DVD player. A more mature firmware release will solve this issue.

3. JaseW

JaseW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers LostToys - wondered if that was the case.

4. Zac_666

Zac_666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - just had the same problem with the Panasonic TX32LXD52 LCD tv - Richer Sound say that quite a few people are having this problem (something to do with tv's, where the HDMI connection is built into the motherboard?).
    Anyway, apparently a hack is available - contact them via their website (set up an account), or try phoning them on 0207 940 2222.
    I'm awaiting their reply - if positive then I'll post the hack.
    Otherwise a great DVD player, as well as for music via normal CD.
    Regards,
    Zac

5. rainstel

rainstel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got that same combo (DVD89, 32GD7E) and it needed that handset hack to get it to work over HDMI.
    Follow the instructions to the letter and it'll work, do one thing out of order and it won't work. Caught me out it did!
    Works atreat now and the picture over HDMI is better than component (though not huge). I find it works best at 720p btw.

6. Zac_666

Zac_666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rainstel,

Was the following the hack you were told to use:

Turn player on
    Push Setup on the remote
    Move the cursor over the speaker setup menu but don't select it
    Type 9,2,1,0 on the remote. A menu appears
    Switch the support mode to ON.
    Press setup
    Turn the player off then on again.
    -- this also reveals a menu that will disable HDCP on the Video outs as well.

Do you then disable HDCP via the menu, in order to get upconversion to work for 720p or 1080i?

I can't test this until Friday, as I work away from home during the week - but I hope this works, as I think its a great player for the money for both pictures and sound.

Thanks in advance,
    Zac

7. rainstel

rainstel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

8. Zac_666

Zac_666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply - I'll give it a try this Friday.

Regards,