1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD88 Plus/AVR200 Musically?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lloydo, Jan 2, 2003.

1. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have the Arcam CD72T/A75 Plus system and it gives a lovely sound but if Mr Bonus comes in March I'd like to change to DVD88 Plus/AVR200 (or Pioneer D2011) set-up as my all in one system and probably sell the CD72/A75.

Do you think I will lose alot of CD quality playback changing to this set-up?

I'm about 50/50 DVD's/CD's

2. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a CD72T and a DV88+, and last weekend I did some A/B comparisons between them using some of my favourite CDs. I found it very difficult to hear a difference. If anything I thought the DV88+ was a little clearer on one or two tracks, but there was very little in it. I wasn't using exactly the same audio interconnects, so that might have explained any difference.

I was playing both into an A85. I can't offer any first hand advice on the difference between an A75 and an AVR200, sorry.

3. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The avr is pretty good with stereo, ok so the a85 is better but thats a sterreo amp of the same price. Still me and many others love the sound of the avr and the dv88+ should have cd performance betrren that of the 72 and 82 which all in all should make a great combo. Only a few more weeks to wait for me to buy the 88+:D . Your best bet is to have a listen.

Nice to see a fellow letchworthian:D

cheers
    lee

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Have you considered replacing the CD72 with the DV88 and then using the A85 to power your front speakers along with an AV Amp to decode and run your other speakers?

I do similar and gives me great AV and Music (though of course it's an extra box).

Victoria

5. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use an A85, CD72 and a Marantz SR4200. Works great, I use the A85 to power the fronts.

I compared the CD72 to the 88, preferred CD playback of the 72. I'll still need a DVD player though...

I wouldn't go for the AVR200 though. It won't be an improvement in stereo over your A75, and for that kind of money there's better surround amps. The AVR200 is woefully overpriced when you consider it's surround capability.

Combining the D2011 with the A75 would give you the best of both worlds, the Pioneer is a great machine I think. And with the A75s AV mode combining the two is painless and easy.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I'm not sure cause it's not something I've tested ... but would the capabilities of the D2011 not be underutilised if you has a separate stereo amp.

Personally I use a Marantz SR5200 ... would upgrading this to a higher end AV Amp (or even a processor and power amps) give me any noticable improvement?

Victoria

7. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi there

I am on a similar upgrade path and have been doing some auditioning recently.

I have the DV88 with prog scan and latest mechanism along with an A85 for stereo. I am using a Sony STB930 at the moment with front pre outs to the A85. This works really well due to the fixed gain feature on the A85 (and A75). I am looking at adding more Arcam power amps and a Pioneer 2011, can't find a processor with 7.1 etc I am happy with, I would have got the Cyrus AV8 but it's only 5.1.

I also am considering a separate Arcam DVD player. I think the 82T is better than the DV88plus but that the 72T is about the same, I would say my DV88 is about a 62T. Music is important for me so am holding on until I dem an FMJ.

So if it were me I would sell the 72T and keep the A75 for stereo and add a Pioneer 2011 or 1011 rather than an AVR200 which is lacking in features and not as good as the A75 in stereo.

Victoria - I don't think the Pioneer features would be wasted as the preamp / dsp / dac section, 5 out of 7 power amps and all the bells and whistles would still be used. The Pioneer 1011 is also an option if the MCACC wasn't considerred that important, personally if I get the 2011 I will be glad to retire my sound meter.

I have listened to the Tag and Arcam Processors and may well end up going there in the end. Just wish Arcam would release a 7.1 Amp or Pre Amp at around £1K. There is a noticable difference in the steering and clarity etc - it just comes down to price / performance.

Regards

Gus

8. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everybody for the advice

I'm pretty sure I'll get the DVD88Plus and sell the CD72T. I'd rather have just one Amp as space is an issue but I may go down the bi-amp route. Hopefully I'll be connecting this all up to a Panny 42 plasma with the tuner (I know this is not the done thing but I must have analogue teletext!!).

Siluro (Lee) I see you have the Gallo Nucleus's, how do you feel about them for stereo music? I have Mission M71's at the mo which are OK but I want a 5.1 package which is small, good for stereo music and less than 800 quid if possible (KEF Eggs). I may just add to the missions and use them as the fronts??

9. minimoog

minimoog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just starting out on an AV system and purchased a DV88 - unheard - for £500 from Overture. Wouldn't normally buy without demoing but it seemed a good deal and I couldn't get chance to hear it first. Thought I'd gamble, with the hope it would replace my Marantz CD63SE for music as well as providing visuals. I guess the CD63SE might be considered broadly equivalent to an Arcam 72?

Looks like I've gambled and lost beacause the DV88, whilst superficially very clean sounding and nicely balanced, doesn't have the transparency, spaciousness, or imaging of the CD63SE. Particularly annoying is it's comparative inability to resolve reverb tails on acoustic or ambient sounds and vocals, which I guess accounts for the lack of space in the sound. It's not bad by any means, just a tad dissappointing after the Marantz (which let's face it is hardly high-end gear). I'd probably be very pleased if I hadn't A/B-ed it with the CD63SE in my own system, but seeing as I have...

Having said all that the DVD picture is fantastic (on my Sony 4:3), and though I haven't got a surround system yet I have high hopes that movie sound will be excellent given the reasonable audio CD performance.

I can't help with the amp/processor selection but I too had in mind an AVR200, possibly with an A85 for the fronts sooner or later. Can anybody explain what is so lacking in the AVR200? I'd only need 5.1 with the DVD and a vcr as inputs. Obviously I need a 16:9 TV too...

...and some speakers, for which I too had thoughts on the Gallos, so I'd love to hear opinions on their music performance too, compared to other £800 stereo speakers.

10. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys

Well the gallos as you would expect me to say are fantastic but the truth is they actually are, on one side you have the whole lifstyle space thing whilst being very cute on the other you have a speaker thats very detailed and nuetral without being bright but to make them work you need a quality sub and a good amp. In the sub department i use velodyne and as a amp the arcam which is quickly dismised for stereo but as ive said ok it ist the best stereo amp around but for a one box wonder it is very good. Its the same for any equipment you have to pick the right parts to get the best results as, its very easy the make the baby arcam go from good to poor and vice vesa, stick some large floorstanders on it and its very quick to beable to to say its gutless but yet use some satelites and a good sub and it sings with plenty of power but do remeber though the amp wasnt built with thx and refrence levels in mind so puting it in a large room and expecting odles of sound isnt fair of a amp rated 5 x 50 (which is the firewall figure).

please just excuse me today as im just on one, its one of those days

Lloydo, alough im still waiting for some cable and bits to arive if you want to meet up your welcome to have a listen with whatever ive got here or anything you want to hook up

cheers
    lee

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    That's been my desire too ... I've also been considering the Rotel 1066 Processor and some power amps as my next upgrade.

I guess what you say about the processing stage of the 2011 is true now I think about it ...

Victoria

12. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    Someone posted previously that arcam are looking to produce a cheaper processor ... possibly along the lines of the 'DAVE' card but a 6.1/7.1/dvd-a version to go into an existing amp ?? ... the A85 is expandable ... so who knows ?

rgds

Jon

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Unfortunately I bought a Rotel 1060 as I felt it sounded better with my 602s so not really of any help :) ... looks like will have to stick with the Rotel processor.

Victoria