Dvd32r

eisenach

Banned
So, once it's been back to IAG and had the Sanyo mechanism fitted, how reliable is the DVD32R?
What's involved in updating the chassis?
Is the door reliable after IAG's tender care, and is it usual for it to be a bit sticky?
It's said to be a better CD player than the CDT20R T2L - is this so, if so, how much so?
Thanks for any replies!

IanS

From past reports here, the Sanyo mechanism is much better.

As regards the door being sticky, maybe it has to re-learn it closing speed? There is also a change that you can make via the remote (can't remember the key presses though) that will change to door closing profile (either A or B). One profile is faster than the other.

singletrailer

Novice Member
Thanks, Ian.
Anyone prepared to say how it sounds as a CD player compared to the CDT20RT2L?
Hej eisenach,

I used to have all three TMA drives dvd32, dvd32flr, cd20r t2l thus I was able to compare the performance quite extensively.

All in all there is quite a noticeable difference between the cdt and the dvds. Especially on high frequencies the cdt is (in comparison) quite harsh which reminded me always about listening to a digital source. After having it heard once I kept hearing it when I listened to the cdt afterwards - no A to B comparison needed.

The difference between the two dvd drives is rather small. The R is better and I could always identify it when doing blind-fold A to B comparisons. But I needed to concentrate quite hard. When I listened to the FLR afterwards I did not lack anything. Thus I sold the cdt and kept both dvd drives (I am operating two different systems). My advice is to get in any case your hands on one of the two dvd drives. Which one does not make much of a difference and boils down to personal taste/preferences:

The FLR is from my point of view a very reliable drive which you can buy for very good money nowadays. Thus a purchase can hardly go wrong.

The R is the "cooler" drive which gives you at least partly this old "turntable feeling". But you need to make sure to have an already upgraded drive unit (Sanyo plus latest door modification) with no operating flaws.

eisenach

Banned
Thanks for that, singletrailer. I've heard others say the same, but it's good to hear it from a Forum member, and one who's had direct of the DVD players and the CD transport.
I know the FLR can be had a quite a reasonable price these days, but I don't think it's the best looking piece of kit - the transport just looks plonked on the standard box. indeed that's really true of the 32R, but the 32R somehow just manages to look cool :cool:! Its reliablility scares me, though.

singletrailer

Novice Member
Hey eisenach,

have you seen and touched a FLR or do you only argue from looking at pictures? I am only asking because I thought the same about the FLR before actually looking at one. From my point of view the FLR does look a lot better in reality than on any picture.

The "R" still is a different story though :)

eisenach

Banned
Not seen a FLR in the "flesh"; just going on the photos. I did wonder if it would look better in real life!

wolfgang

Standard Member
Haha.... Eisenach, have been causing a bit of mischief in another place by using his new toy to poke fun at people who firmly believe ''all transports for playing CDs sound the same''.

This make me wonder have anyone conducted a controlled (blind) listening comparison with a DVD32R against other players?

eisenach

Banned
Haha.... Eisenach, have been causing a bit of mischief in another place by using his new toy to poke fun at people who firmly believe ''all transports for playing CDs sound the same''.
Well, not quite poke fun, but I am amazed by how good it sounds compared to the CDT, and apart from it 'being better' wondered if anyone could give an explanation. :cool:

wolfgang

Standard Member
I have no reason not to believe you. Not long ago this place have a few regulars with the background in electronics who might be able to explain the reasons but not sure if they still hang out here anymore.

GrahamMG

The DVD32R was the best CD/DVD player TAG designed, learning from previous CD transports etc. The sheer mass of the 32R casting and damping gave higher results than anything else in the range, the supporting electronics are effectively the same as the 32FLR but the mass loading of the 32R made a small but noticable (in the right system) difference. I would always urge people to connect up the sync link as well as that is quite noticable if it isn't present, when mine used to drop out occasionally years ago it was obvious....
Personally I still think (rightly or wrongly) that the original 32R transport was slightly better audiably but it was quite short lived and the current Sanyo mech at least is reliable and to be frank, probably the same quality.

So in order of sound quality you have:-

DVD32R+sync link = 99%
DVD32FLR+sync link = 95%
DVD32R = 90%
CDT+sync link = 89%
DVD32FLR = 85%
CDT = 80%

IMHO :D

eisenach

Banned
So, once it's been back to IAG and had the Sanyo mechanism fitted, how reliable is the DVD32R?
Not very, it seems! It's just gone ....-up.
Switched it on, made a funny noise, but worked fine for about half a CD, when it just stopped. Now it's recycling through self-test, sometimes doing various random things, but not playing CDs. I've tried switching off / unplugging from mains / leaving for a while, but still nothing. Anyone any ideas what's wrong? It's had all the usual IAG fixes.

rigman

Thats not good news :(

Are you getting video output?

have you sent a message to IAG asking for advice?

eisenach

Banned
Only the TAG screen on start up. Once it's got stuck on the self-check, the screen goes fuzzy white.
It randomly played a CD this morning, for about 10 minutes, before suddenly going into the self-check routine and freezing. It was enough to convince me that it sounds so much better than the CDT20R I've still got, that it's worth breaking the piggy bank open to send it back to IAG.
I sent them an e-mail late yesterday asking their advice, but have yet to hear back.
I noticed that when it freezes, the red LED that flashes when you send an IR command from the handset is flashing constantly, even though I'm not telling it to do anything and the remote's out of sight. Could this indicate a problem with the control system microprocessor?