1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD32R will not recognise CD's

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Paul_G, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Paul_G

Paul_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi guys,
    Just played a CD in the DVD32R, went to play another and received a "no disc" message. Tried another CD, same problem. Seems to recognise DVD's still.
    Any idea on a fix? Master reset? Reinstall the SW?
    What is the latest version? The TAG part of the IAG site appears to be down.

Thanks,
    Paul Gardner

2. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I suppose you turned it off and unplug it and turn it on again. The fact that it still does recognize dvd's is strange. You can alway try a master reset, but I'm not so sure this cures it.

1.Turn power off
    2.Hold down 'skip -' and 'display' keys
    3.While holding down the 2 keys switch unit on
    4.On display will be the word "EEPROM"
    5.Now release 'skip -' and 'display' keys
    6.Press any key.

If this doesn't work, just mail to the helpdesk:
    tmahelpdesk@internationalaudiogroup.com

Good luck!

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    If Theo's reset idea doesn;t work, I'd bet on the flexifoil connecting the laser to the mech might be a bit suspect especially if it is a mk2 transport. In short ring the helpdesk and arrange a service, if it is the flexifoil then these were being fixed for free (and the latest door mod done as well!) so no reason not to get it sorted!

4. Paul_G

Paul_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Just had a look at my lens assembly area and I can see what looks like a melted blob. I assume there should be two lenses, but it looks like I'm down to one....:(

I've got a picture, but I keep getting upload errors. The pic is only 26Kb and is less than 500x500. Can anyone help with posting the pic?

5. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

the DVD32R doesn't have 2 lenses, so the thing you see is something else. If you sent me the pic I will try to post it for you.

6. Paul_G

Paul_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You have mail!

7. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,

Here's Paul's pic. The 'blob' belongs there if you ask me, and is not the reason for the problem.

Attached Files:

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    My money's still on the flexifoil.......If so thats a zero cost repair so.......helpdesk!

9. Paul_G

Paul_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks Graham, Theo,

Just called the helpdesk and to be honest I was disgusted at the service. Barry is on holiday for two weeks and they have no technical support until he comes back! I was advised that I could send it in anyway. The turnaround is currently 5-6 weeks.....
    How times change:mad:
    I forgot to ask if they still do a pick-up service, can anyone advise? Is it chargeable, or am I better off going through my dealer?

Thanks,
    Paul

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Bit shortsighted to get rid of Mark then (why not keep him on until Barry had his leave??? Unless dates have some significance for redundancy reasons......) :oops: :oops: :oops: ......I must admit I'm a bit surprised that no-one else could effectively deal with your query especially if it turns out to be the flexifoil as that was a well documented fault......

Collection service:- I have no experience of it past or present, I'd ring back and ask if you could deliver it and get someone to have a quick look to give you feedback on how long it would be for repair. The actual repair to the flexifoil (and I must stress I am guessing here) takes not very long at all....Soak test and door mods etc. would take a bit longer naturally but a 5-6 week turnaround either means they don't have anyone to do it presently or they have a lot of broken stuff to service..... If you don't get anywhere and have to involve the dealer I'd be curious as to how you get on this one as I know various people from IAG read this site so I'd expect things to get better for you.

11. Paul_G

Paul_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi Graham,
    I contacted my dealer who called IAG. IAG informed them that no-one would even look at it until Barry gets back, so I might as well keep hold of it for now..
    Hopefully it's the flexifoil as I am three months out of warranty.

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Paul.
    If what you say is accurate, and I have no reason to doubt what the dealer told you, I'd be very surprised at that as Barry isn't the bloke who will fix it unless he has had a major shift in job title......

Regarding warrenty issues I have got in writing from IAG that they would honour existing repair statements made by TAG and I specifically included the flexifoil and door in my question (the original statement for Udo was if it went wrong they would fix it regardless of age "willful misuse etc" exluded!) so I do hope that it is the flexifoil issue, mind you I'd have a bit of a moan to get your issues fixed under warrenty regardless of the fault if it is only 3 months out of warrenty especially due to all the delays in setting up the repair shop due to the takeover and moves of various service personel and facilities. I hope you have a satisfactory outcome and await further missives with interest.

13. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Paul,

Call directly to IAG, and I believe Barry's colleague's Carol and Marilyn also look after the TAG service units, so they can assist you sending it back. (Barry also needed his break ;) .)

14. Paul_G

Paul_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well guys,

Finally got around to calling Barry (It's been a busy week!), and the news is bad. Looks like I have an older mechanism which needs to be replaced. Graham, I think that the new mech has two connectors (flexifoil?), which can be replaced.
    The sum of the bad news is £750:eek: . Barry is going to see if he can do something as the machine isn't too far out of warranty, but I guess the bill is still going to be painfull. Oh, and the wait will be 5-6 weeks.

I guess I had better get it packed up to make sure it's back by christmas.....

15. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Paul,

If the drive is replaced, I bet you will be very pleased with the latest version. This one is much faster and handles all copy protected CD's and even DVD-R(W)! So just look at it as an upgrade :thumbsup:

16. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'd make the point that you have been trying to contact them for a few weeks now and if it is just out of warrenty, they wouldn't have been able to fix it anyway due to the repair facility either not being ready for business or actually in the process of moving..... Armed with that info I'd find it difficult to charge you the £750 asking price of the repair......
    Theo is right though, the new mech is far more tolerent of just about any disk you throw at it and you get a fixed lid for free......

Best of luck mate.....

17. Paul_G

Paul_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Willit sound better as well:)

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The $64000 question.......

I still to this day think it sounded different (our unit was only in for repair for a couple of days in the good old days!), better or worse is only conjecture, if there really was a difference it was very very small either way....
    As Theo says any supposed difference pales into insignificance with the enhanced playability of DVD-R and tolerance of dodgy DVD/CD's etc......

If pushed I'd say the new puck is crap and I've never seen one run perfectly true (had several pucks now) which might be what I heard at the beginning and certianly if you turn the sync link off there is a bigger difference than on the original mechanism. It is still way above most other units (practically all) in both CD and DVD ability. Super critical I might be but it is a £5.5k unit so I'm entitled to be picky! Don't think I'd ever sell it though ;)