1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD32r TagMclaren warranty

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by diegoSFO, Jan 5, 2005.

1. diegoSFO

diegoSFO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    Unfortunately I have a serious problem with my player.
    In September I send it in USA @ IAG, after 3 weeks they claim to be repaired and I got it back. I was off course very happy, I did open the box install everything but the problem was still there. Exactly the same problem! I wonder if they testing the unit after repair?!?!
    Anyway send it back few months ago, now my unit is in UK, but they are telling me the warranty was only for one year! unfortunately I don't have anymore the original warranty paper but from what I recall all the TagMclaren audio products had a 2 years warranty
    I'm I wrong?
    Thanks
    Diego

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Now that is a bit shabby, especially if it was within warranty when the IAG US took it in and failed to fix it.

Bryston's 20 year transferable warranty sounds so sweet by comparison.

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The Warrenty was certianly 2 years on our kit....... Repairs also have a warrenty ( at least 3 months) and as they obviously didn't fix it I'd say someone is taking the p@ss......

4. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Forgive me if this has been posted extensively elsewhere - and it may well have been.

The EU Directive on Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees (Directive 1999/44/EC) (which applies to the UK) gives consumer a legal right to repair or replacement for two full years.

However, do bear in mind that this responsibiliy lies with the *vendor*, not the manufacturer. The manufacturer is not obliged to offer any warranty at all and if they do offer one, the obligations are only that it must be clear. There is no prescription for how long it must last.

Also, bear in mind that the time limit during which you are able to seek compensation (repair, financial or otherwise) is 6 years if it is "reasonable" to have expected the goods to have lasted that long.

My DVD32R (purchased 2001) "died" recently and I think I will be having a chat with my dealer along these lines. I don't think its "reasonable" that a £4,000 piece of kit should break after 3 or 4 years. Especially when - as in my case - the dealer proudly told me it comes with a 2 year warranty, but don't worry "it will never break anyway, its built like a tank". I remember the words.

Chip

5. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As to EU warranty on consumer goods the EU directive has been extended since 1999 in the sense that if a unit fails áfter the warranty period has expired, bút the consumer could normally expect it to function for a time surpassing the moment it broke, it then the vendor (= the brandname under which it was sold!) is still obliged to repair it as warranty.

For example:

CRT's built in todays televisions are normally expected to run at least 5 to 10 year without a flaw.
    So if you purchase a television with 1 year warranty and the CRT fails in the third year (without any other cause like willfull damage etc), be sure the vendor is forced to repair it for free (free meens: labour and parts).

This is not known very broadly but it is a fact!

In Brussel a legal case has been fought and won on this EU rule.

7. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    hoosterw,

Sorry but what you say is not correct. The vendor is (unsurprisingly) the party that sold you the goods. Your contract is with them and the manufacturer is under no obligation to offer any warranty at all.

Also, the vendor doesn't have to repair it for free. Even if they do accept their responsibility - and of course they could dispute it, and they often do - then they can also choose to offer compensation. And the compensation could be quite low if you have had protracted use of the goods.

Its all a bit woolley and open to interpretation and to dispute. At least the 1999 EC directive (implemented 2002) clarified the issues around DOA goods and acceptance periods. But the length of time you should "reasonably" expect goods to last is still open to interpretation.

Chip

8. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chip,

I stand corrected as to the vendor (who sold you the product), but repair should be for free, although the vendor indeed may offer to replace it by compensation, that is correct.

I also agree that it is wooly and still open for interpretation.

I think that having a strong mind and determination might help.

Rgds Hans