DVD32R Prog Scan connection Q's?

fortisflyer75

Established Member
Reaction score
I now have the DVD32R with Prog scan module and did not realize until receiving it that Prog scan does not operate from the RGB component outputs and has to be from either the BNC or DVI-I output for Prog scan to work.

With not been to familiar with either of these types of connections and knowing they are not so easy to get hold of which is my best connector type to go with? - Not just on the DVD32R output but also the input end on my Pioneer Kuro which has either RGB component or HDMI.

I am thinking; do I go with DVI-I to HDMI or component or BNC to Component (or HDMI if this is available!?) .....Or possibly even a DVI to HDMI adaptor plug then connect any HDMI cable that way but unsure if using this method there is any degradation in quality doing this.

Confused as to which would be best as I have heard from someone that it is widely contested by some quarters that DVI and BNC are better than the other not to mention whether it would be whether it would be more beneficial to go HDMI over component on the plasma picture input.

Any help would be grateful as it seems trying to track down a good quality cable will be hard also as eBay has a lot of non branded cheaper cables on there which are a unknown quality.

Last edited:
I can't recommend a specific cable, but use the DVI-I out and connect to the HDMI on your TV.

Hi fortisflyer75

I had exactly the same problem when I got my DVD32r with PSM and tried to hook up to my KRP 500a. I also wanted a quality connection not just random cabling so bought a set of 1.0m Kimber DV30 interconnects with phono (RCA) plugs at each end and used BNC-Phono Adaptors so I could potentially use the cable with other players that are not equipped with BNC sockets.

I also tried a DVI-HDMI Kimber cable to compare performance but could not see much, if any, improvement so went back to using the DV30 coupled with the adaptors.

My current set up does not allow me to use these cables any more so if you fancy giving them a go I would be happy to sell the DV30 3 x 1.0m runs on to you...

Just let me know or PM me for more details

Cheers

Mr. Mer

Thanks MR Orange & MR Mer,

I am open to either I think as I am getting the impression there is not a lot of difference between both DVI-I or BNC output so as long as the cable is a good quality one I will be happy.

I almost contemplated buying one of those DVI-I to HDMI plug adaptors (Wireworld do one for £26) and just put on my choice of HDMI cable but something told me this would be a big no, no and compromise the picture quality maybe?

You have mail MR.MER.

Thanks again for the advice so far.

Any sales need to be conducted in the relevant section of the forum (home cinema classifieds, in this case) and definitely NOT via PM

Do not Panic!

Will be getting Mer to post on classified section if I decide it is compatible for my needs as yet to find out as he is away for a while currently.
Admittedly digressed asking Q's via pm!

Thanks for offer Mr.Mer, measured up and unfortunately need a 2M run : (

I have just for now gone the BNC adaptor route with my current Wireworld component cable which is a 2M run but I think ideally now will look out for a actual dedicated bnc - rca cable (or DVI/HDMI) whichever comes first.

Having an issue getting a proper colour picture at the moment though (is in a red chroma only, wired up correctly) may make a seperate thread for that issue though!

Appreciate the offer anyway ; )
Thanks again Mer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom