1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD32R Problem

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by AllanG, Sep 16, 2005.

1. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Everyone,

My DVD32R was one of the very early models and, touch wood, it has performed faultlessly.........until now!!

Recently, it has intermittantly 'frozen' when playing a CD, and the only way to restart it, is to switch it off at the on/off button, after which it is OK.

It has only once done the same when playing a DVD, but I could restart by jumping forward using the remote.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this problem, (it is running the latest software version).

Many thanks,

Allan

2. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Everyone,

Has anyone got any thoughts / comments regarding this fault?

Many thanks,

Allan

3. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think you'll need someone like Graham to answer this one - he is certainly one of the forum members with experience of nursing these things.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'd suspect that if it has the original Takagi mech it will need changing as that sounds like a very text book fault with it. If you have the later mech (look at the software/firmware revision in the setup menu, it will say something like V3.85/S058 or V3.85/058, the S being the later mech), then the problem might well be the flexi foil connector and needs replacing (cheaper.....). In any case it won't cure itself so its a trip to Huntingdon for it....

Basically the laser sled drive has become worn and sticks occasionally which is why fast forward might effect a temporary cure..... Its a bit more involved than that but you get the idea. There are only so many stock faults on the unit......

5. MartinFXDX

MartinFXDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All.

This is probabley not applicable in this case but it may just be useful if someone has probs with this mech after a period of being boxed up..

When I first got my DVD32R (Takagi mech) it displayed the same probs as AllanG's. I took it back to TAG and they had a look at it while I waited and observed. :cool:

The problem was tracked down to bits of foam being sliced off the foam packing strip that stopped the sled moving during transport. The bits of foam were sliced off as the foam was pulled out and fell into the gears that moved the sled resulting in the symptoms mentioned.

Just thought I'd contribute this in the rare chance that it could be of help. And to add to the encyclopaedic knowledge that this forum is starting to hold. It's got to be worth a footnote in the bizzare faults section when the history of the DVD32 is written! :rotfl:

6. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Would be interesting on how many units still have the Takagi mech and how many are still working ?. Perhaps another poll ?. Well to start the ball rolling I still have a working one !

7. MartinFXDX

MartinFXDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mine was replaced with the lastest drive mech just before the 3 year warranty expired :clap:

and before TAG expired :clap: :clap:

Now I'm scared to use it :eek:

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Martin.
    Yep I agree about the original bit of wedged in foam being part of the original mech's downfall, thing is that cleaning the gears of this deposit didn't really help once it was damaged, it stayed damaged..... I know I tried it......
    If it is of any help, my unit had a new Sanyo mech a very long time ago and it stills works fine.

9. MartinFXDX

MartinFXDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Graham,

That's true. Once the debris had been meshed in the gears a couple of times it was too late! TAG gave me a complete new machine as the original was effectively DOA.

That then lasted nearly 3 years before having the mech replaced because it stopped reading DVDs.

Fingers crossed for the future.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    and IAG still send back players with foam....:( on the original drives

11. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Graham,

Unfortunately, my DVD32R was one of the very early models, (December 2001), and the software version shows V3.85/058, so I am sure it has the Takagi mech.

Does anyone know how much IAG charges to replace the mech with the new type...........and is the cost worth it?

Unfortunately, at the moment, IAG do not instill confidence in me, and I do not relish the thought of spending several hundered pounds getting my DVD32R fixed after just four years.

Therefore, I am looking for suitable alternatives...........does anyone have any experience with the Audionet player, (the spec looks tempting)?

The rest of my kit consists of AV32RSPbp192, 3x250R, 100P, Wilson Benesch Curves, M&K rears and REL Strata III sub.

Any comments / recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks & best regards,

Allan

12. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    An FLR?

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    No idea of current cost but it won't be cheap, mind you it is probably going to cost less than buying a new player with the same ability...... The new mech is a very stable unit and plays everything and doesn't need a wedge of foam!!!!!! Apart from the obvious FLR, your looking at possibly an HTPC (with soon to be available Blu-Ray drive........).

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I don't know price but I would expect something nearer £800, pleased to be proved wrong though :)

15. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Serious money then.

16. WillyP

WillyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In February or March of this year my DVD32R returned from IAG. The bill was 900 GBP. A lot of money, but I don't think you can buy a DVD player of the same quality for 900 GBP. My only fear is that there will be problems again in the near future.

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    well you know the price of a CD transport!! This is a DVD top loader.

18. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have been fortunate thus far. Am running on newer mech, as yet to suffer any major inconveniences.
    The things a labour of love for me really but hasn't seen much action as of later times.
    Really don't know if i would spend the £900 against the cost of FLR nowadays.
    Will be very pleased indeed if i can get another couple of years out of it.

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My philosophy as well, I have a replacement...

20. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The only problem with this statement is that the player ar that price should not need any replacement! Not quite right as we know it :(

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    reality hits home, long since got past hopes...

22. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Not really when you consider what £800 gets you as an alternative..... A DV79 for example isn't in the same performance league (and also has a chequered history!).

23. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I am still running a Takagi DVD32R, the only problem so far is an occasionally sticking door. I would consider £900 a reasonable cost to upgrade, but will future formats make current DVD players even more obsolete?

24. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Barry.

The new formats "blu-ray" or "HD-DVD" will require a new player as no-one can play them on any existing DVD unit......
    However, can you see everyone throwing away all their CD collection and existing DVD collection and buy the catalogue again.........of course not, If you need the new Sanyo upgrade unit in your DVD32R then £900 seems a reasonable deal really and use the unit to play the existing stuff, I really don't think that any future technology player will make a better job of existing formats....

25. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Oh agreed, i would consider an FLR which are not too much more. Whilst i have no doubt hi-def will one day rule, i am less and less convinced it will have the immediate impact on the mainstream market (who am i to judge however). I think it's quite length of time away yet before anything approaching sense is realised. This format thing and the re-buying of yet more films i have bought countless times before doesn't sit that well with me. Perhaps i am being bah-humbug.
    Anyway, i am very happy with the dvd32r when all has been said and done. P and SQ are very good by anyones standards, it sits well with my other stuff and i reckon i will wait a couple of years before thinking about spending serious money again.

26. AllanG

AllanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all the input.........as a matter of interest, does anyone have any thoughts regarding the two DVD32R's currently on eBay........would it be worth me bidding on the one with the latest mech, (especially if the final bid is less than £900)?

Has anyone heard the Audionet VIP DVD player...........it's got good reviews in the German press?

Thanks again.

Allan

27. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    How are your players in general? Mine is very pernicky (spelling?) and will play one disc with no problem but will then stop and stutter on the next disc. I tried Matrix reloaded tonight and despite only ever playing it once before the player was not happy at all and just kept stalling. I ended up plugging in my ancient Sony 725 and it played it flawlessly.
    Is this a sign that my player is on its way out or could it be a dusty lens. What can I use to clean it if so

I would feel pretty sick having to spend another 900 quid upgrading the mech when it cost me 4 grand new and I am not sure I could even do it out of principal. Cutting nose off to spite face I suppose but its the way I feel about it. What does the upgraded mech give? DVD audio, SACD, DVDR's Is it worth it?

thanks
    Darren