• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVD32R Problem

Miron

Established Member
Hi everybody,
seems my top loader is ready to say farewell :(

Last 3-4 years hardly used, switched on maybe 10-15 times a year for a CD, thats all.

Today my wife brought Adele CD and thats when it started ...on first boot digits on the bottom went crazy, small letters and capitals were changing, second boot was better until "no" from "no disc" was visible, from third boot it booted well and it could play.
But after short playing time blue LED and display both went off and player had to be manually rebooted. The longer I was trying the more it played, but never more than 5-6 songs in the row. Now after few hours it even reboots alone after several songs

So, it either hates Adele and refuses playing her, or something is really wrong ;)
I first thought dust might be blocking laser unit but it seems to be more serious.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

david1961

Established Member
Hi Miron

Not sounding good

Mine is an early one with old drive

Still going strong but for how long ,when I hear these stories

Miron

Established Member
Well, soon or a later they all break. At least good to hear your old machine still runs fine!

I'll decide what to do with it after the holidays. The more I look at it more it looks like IC problem, guess some chip or so. From time to time they pop up on ebay for ridiculosly low money, maybe I'll buy another one, or get a CDT20-T2L or I'll just skip it. On one side I hardly listen the music, on the other side after it broke I played a CD thru Oppo BD player and thru Pioneer 868 DVD player .... actually dissapointing sound compared to a top loader o_O.
I also have Arcam Alpha 9 CD in other room, maybe I will move it over ... no clue!

Funny how priorities change, 10 years ago I would have freaked out if it broke, now it is jut another thing ... Crazy little thing called life I guess!

david1961

Established Member
Hi Miron

My dvd32r sometimes decides to go into standby about track 8 but mostly good

I bought mine at fire sale prices after the tag demise and that was still alot back then

I suppose it would be the piece of hifi gear that has depreciated in value the most that i own

One can only think how good this would have been if upgraded to bluray

I wonder if they would have gone hddvd or bluray or both

Bumpy2000

Novice Member
Well, soon or a later they all break. At least good to hear your old machine still runs fine!

I'll decide what to do with it after the holidays. The more I look at it more it looks like IC problem, guess some chip or so. From time to time they pop up on ebay for ridiculosly low money, maybe I'll buy another one, or get a CDT20-T2L or I'll just skip it. On one side I hardly listen the music, on the other side after it broke I played a CD thru Oppo BD player and thru Pioneer 868 DVD player .... actually dissapointing sound compared to a top loader o_O.
I also have Arcam Alpha 9 CD in other room, maybe I will move it over ... no clue!

Funny how priorities change, 10 years ago I would have freaked out if it broke, now it is jut another thing ... Crazy little thing called life I guess!
Hi Miron, just looking through your post with interest. I have a top loader just as you describe that has a few glitches and refuses to play consistently. It's a shame but I'm still blessed with an FLR in perfect condition and running very well to date.
I noticed that one of your options, if you can't get the top loader fixed, is to look into buying a CDT 20 T2L? It just so happens I have a perfect one ready to put up for sale. It's in super condition, fully working and boxed with original remote...just in case you're interested, look me up! Good luck with sorting it anyway

Miron

Established Member
Hi Bumpy2000,
thanks but I decided not to look for another one. I transfered Arcam CD player into my living room and will keep it that way until my DP gives up. When that happens I will exchange my whole system. This current one does not make any sense, only DP is used on a regular base, rest just collects the dust (100x5R, PPA20, T32R & TMA1 plus now broken top loader)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom