1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD32R 'faulty disc' error

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by City_Knight, Dec 31, 2004.

1. City_Knight

City_Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone.
    This is my first post, so please feel free to paste the links to existing discussions with some answers, but I searched for an hour and found nothing..

I have a DVD32R (very early one). It used to play DVD and CD media fine, but now just plays CD media.
    When I insert a DVD, it spins and says 'reading disc' with the egg timer, then the display says 'video' in the lower left and shows the globe sign in the lower right, then displays 'faulty disc'

The mech is the one with the four silver bolt heads around the edge of the drive.
    Software version 3.85
    I have experimented with the coding (734x).

It did the same in November, but I turned it off and went on holiday for a week, and when I returned it was fine for a while.

Thank you everyone in advance for your advice!

2. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi City Knight

Did you a "master-reset", if not I would do that first.

Turn off the power to the DVD32R using the power button, hold down the 'skip-' and'display' buttons on the front panel and turn the unit on again, keep the buttons held down until the unit shows: EEPROM - press any key, press any of the front panel buttons and the display will show:RESET - Reset Please Wait... The unit will then continue with the normal power up sequence. Note that this will reset all parameters to their default values, so it will be necessary to re-configure your player settings to suit your requirements. Note also that the region code will be reset.

Regards
    Daniel

3. Neale

Neale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should also check that your disk is very clean

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this will be another DVD32R heading for the factory soon, as most of them did anyway. I am lucky one I guess since mine still works fine, but I am prepared for the worst ;)

It might however be a good opportunity to update the drive but it will costs a bit.

5. City_Knight

City_Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Master reset done. no change.
    Brand new R2 discs tried with player in R2 mode - 'faulty disc'

Is 058 drive firmware the latest?

6. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for old drive yes, new one would have 058S

7. City_Knight

City_Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so glad I joined this forum - so much knowledge! I don't think I'll do much work for the rest of the year ;)

In the absense of anything else I can try myself, I am looking at a new mech..
    Please correct my assumptions...
    1. Original Takai mech (four silver bolts around drive) had 055 firmware, then 058
    2. Later Sanyo mech has 058S firmware (no silver bolts)
    3. Colour of puck/spindle isn't a unique identifier
    4. Only two mechs (takai/sanyo) were ever incorporated into the DVD32R
    5. I'll pay £700ish for a Sanyo mech to be installed
    6. This will cure all my problems, and Sanyo mechs are reliable
    7. Are there other hardware changes/revisions I should ask for when the Sanyo mech is installed, or are these mandatory with the mech change?

Is there somewhere a post or a list from Dr Zucker about all the revisions during the lifecycle of the DVD32R player? For instance
    1. Drawer mech drivebelt pinion glue may melt... revision.....
    2. Video processor chip may overheat becuase of... revision...

It should be a sticky if it exists!

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

once upona a time there was forum where all these things were repeated at least few times each

all what's left after is memory . . . . . . . (apart from IAG, Udo and Graham having it all as backup somewhere ;) )

I guess most of these answers will repeat itself here, all you need is few years to get them all :)

Apart from that I think 1-7 is all correct, but you might find 5. can also be a bit less too...

OK, happy new year, let's party..... :beer: :beer: :beer:

9. City_Knight

City_Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plump! Thanks again.
    Even though the old forum ceased to exist, people's problems didn't die with it. With the number of ex-TMA employees registered here, and the relatively high glitch rate of a single model from the TMA line-up, it would be of great service to current and prospective TMA owners to catalogue all the info for the DVD32R. I am willing to do this, and host any pictures/files as necessary.

I keep finding little bits of threads that fill in the picture...
    3. Puck isn't a unique identifier, but all early Takai mechs have silver spindle, all later Sanyo mechs have black spindle?
    7. Becauase I have an early Takai mech, but with 058 firmware, this must mean that other revisions have been done to the player.. but what are they?
    5. In view of (7) the Sanyo upgrade should be cheaper because the mech requires use of revised control harware that I already have as a result of the 058 firmware? So how much have people paid recently?

I dug out an old TAG dealer price list I found a while ago.. Has the PSM trade price, but not the Sanyo mech price.. I assume this was so that dealers weren't all left with 055 Takai machines when the 058S Sanyo started shipping..

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.
    As already mentioned your DVD32r needs a bit of TLC at Huntingdon, it appears early models have a 3-4 year time bomb in them (ours packed up years ago now as we used it a lot....), the newer mech (Sanyo) is a worthy update as it far more tolerent of disks and DVD-R's...... and nobody except me seems to notice any difference in sound output...However Steve assures me I'm hearing things as they measure the same. If your door isn't "perfect" (Udo's words!), I'd get that brought up to scratch at the same time. I am of the opinion that many recent faults are in some way heat related as many have commented on leaving them to cool down completely brings them back to life for a short while and people that never actually turn them off seem to last far longer.......
    The Sanyo mech seems reliable (apart from an initial ribbon cable batch fault). I'd argue the toss over the price to fix it as personally a £5k DVD player should last longer than this without issue......

As far as I am aware only the Takai and Sanyo mechs made it to production.

In summary a great DVD/CD player that still impresses despite it being a "labour of love" which I'll happily stick with until I get as good a CD replay out of the HTPC (still working on it chaps but southern comfort and jumbo cashew nuts beckon!!!!)..... I'll wager IAG will not make any once current warehouse stocks are gone....

The only real identifier for the mechs is I believe the firmware which ends in "S" on the later mechs. Oh and the old ones had a pip in the middle of the puck to locate it and the later units have a hole.....Colour as you say is not reliable way to identify them.

11. City_Knight

City_Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Graham. The door is perfect. I leave my DVD32R on permanently..are you saying this is a good or bad idea?
    Are you suggesting that I haggle the price for the Sanyo mech?
    If the drawer is perfect, are there any other revisions to ask for at the same time?
    Does anyone know a price for the Sanyo mech upgrade from IAG?

12. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Sanyo's were also slightly different if I recall it correctly, later charges were even prepared to read DVD-A when chip comes (old story staring DVD192R)..... But firmware is the same 058S is the last for all Sanyo drives.

And, yes, you can leave it on standby if you use it frequently.

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.

I have always left our DVD32R on (standby when not using it) and as it is probably the first unit off the production line all those years ago and hasn't has any major failures except a mechanism swap, I'll continue to leave it on......

If your door works perfectly I'd leave well alone...... get the thing fixed (assuming a new mech is required but maybe not...), there are no other "nice to have's" worth bothering with and as Miron suggests it is a complete waste to have anything done to prepare it for DVD-A etc. as that won't happen....

As I suggested, I'd haggle on the cost of repair as devices like this should last a very long time in a domestic situation and changing a laser mechanism every 3 years or so is just poor........

14. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbelievably just last night the very same thing happened to my player too. I was part way through a Godfather showing and exactly what I believe was at the point of the layer change, the movie stopped with a 'faulty disc' message.

I am now unable to play any DVD's although CD's still play fine. I sent a message to the helpdesk and received a reply asking me to courier it over to them.

I recall that I had to sent the machine back earlyish 2004 with the same problem. It was returned to me after a period with an explanation that the engineers were unable to find anything wrong with the machine and everything played ok. Surely enough, it then worked fine for me. I had dismissed this event and only recalled yesterday evening when the same symptoms as last time have returned.

I hope they can turnaround this swiftly as this machine is my one and only source for music and movies. I will let you know the progress.

Best Wishes,
    Steve.