DVD32R component to SCART RGB

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pooley, Aug 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Hitachi 32" CRT has a SCART input which is RGB enabled. I've previously bought a component to RGB SCART lead, but when I tried this from the DVD32R all I got was a purple, scrolling picture on the TV.

Is anyone using their DVD32 with this kind of setup? Would the pinouts on the Hitachi RGB SCART be different to someone else's interpretation?

I'm just about to get my fixed DVD32R back next week, and I'd like to try using the component feed into my TV, rather than the S-Video I used before. For info, my Hitachi TV only has S-Video, SCART, SCART with RGB and composite inputs and I'd rather not buy a new TV at the moment!

Thanks!
    Pooley.

2. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Pooley, TAG top loader can not output interlaced RGB , therefore whatever cable you buy it won't help.

All you can do is to buy component to RGB transcoder and use that one.

Still, if you ask me all that is useless and you won't see any difference on your TV compared to using S-Video. In order to get the best out of your DVD32R you need a bigger screen.

3. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input Miron, looks like I'd better start saving for that 42" panel with 1080p capability! (for when I get my PS3)

S-Video it is until then...

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I'd set the PS3 to 1080i or 720p, it will cost a lot less for a screen then....:rotfl: :rotfl: Unless you buy a native 1920 x 1080 panel that can take a progressive signal I doubt the PQ will look a whole lot different, well not in the samples I've seen anyway........ From normal viewing distances I don't know anyone that would say a 1080p signal looks better than other HDTV formats. Its a numbers game more than substance IMHO.......

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Oh and there is nothing wrong with the s-video output of a DVD32R into a 32" CRT, looks marvelous on my old Sony.....Always did.....

6. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it me, or is the whole "HDTV Ready" thing unnecessary confusing, possibly even misleading? I've seem so many TV's that state they're capable of HDTV, only to see in the fine print that the panel resolution is 1024 x 768, sometimes even less. Yes, they've got a DVI socket, so they're HDTV ready, but surely most of these will be only capable of 1080i or p by resampling the image input to display at a lower resolution?? Full 1080p capable monitors are still expensive, although Toshiba have released a 1920 x 1080 display at a reasonable price of around £1500.

I think I'll stay with my 32" CRT for the moment, fed via S-Video, and spend my money on DVD's and CD's until the whole market settles down. Oh, and I need to start saving for my expensive PS3, thanks Sony. Still, it will play BluRay and SACD, which is nice!

Somebody must have made a fortune persuading people to upgrade TV's in time for the World Cup! Was it really worth it? Yes, the pictures were probably great, but unfortunately the performances weren't. :devil:

Sorry...

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Anything over 720 horizontal lines of resolution and has a HDCP spec digital input and Component input (and a few other requirements like capable of a 720p or 1080i signal input), will meet the "HD ready" spec and be able to display the HD ready logo.
    1080p is NOT a requirement and frankly native 1080p encoded material will be very much the exception rather than the rule.........
    Hype however is something else entirely........ You certianly don't need a screen capable of natively showing a 1080p signal to get a stunning image at all.......In fact so far you would be better off not having a 1920 x 1080 res panel IMHO as they are not nearly as good at anything that isn't a native 1080p signal (and I mean started life as a 1080p signal).

8. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a pity it's not a bit more of a standard though. Surely it would have been better for the content producers to stick at 1080p, and then let the consumer choose whether they want "the whole hog" or slightly less, i.e. down sample to 720 or whatever, depending on the capabilities of their kit.

Just my view.

One real reason I would choose a 1920 x 1080 display would be PC use. Would be nice to play Half Life 2 on a big screen with full surround. Then again, maybe not, as my nerves were shot after completing Doom3 on my 17" PC monitor. This whole "immersion" technology can go too far...

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I seriously doubt much will get sent out as 1080p as it is a complete waste of bandwidth available and bandwidth costs money. As 99.99% of the country cannot make any use of it either, it really makes no sense. Precisely the reason 1080i ended up the broadcast standard..... nothing much wrong with that either..... On a huge screen 1080p may have a visible advantage (big projectors and 10ft screens maybe) but on anything 42/50" and maybe bigger from normal viewing distances, nope.......

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194

Half life 2 and Doom look awesome on a 10ft screen at 1280 x 720 (into a DLP), you won't do much better really running it at 1080p, the game wasn't optimised for that res as no-one can view it (well OK maybe one or two of us.....), it don't get a whole heap better,in fact it just means you spend more on the PC to get the same result.....;)

11. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's got me thinking, Half Life 2 on a big screen. Hmmm...

Thanks for the input GrahamMG, time to start keeping an eye on Dabs and EBuyer for a bargain display methinks.

12. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a component to rgb converter that I used to use on my 32r.
    I don't use it any more if you're interested