DVD32FLR Not reading discs

Tantalus

Novice Member
My trusty old DVD32FLR at last seems to be malfunctioning. It has trouble reading some discs which played perfectly well a couple of weeks ago. I tried cleaning them, switching it off - but no joy. Comes up with "Disc Faulty" most of the time.

If it's a 500 quid repair job it may be time to really go HD and consider it as CD player.

Any ideas?

Anyone else had problems and/or repairs like this?

benzol

Novice Member
Hi Tantalus,

I had similar experience with another lower quality player.
Back then this was due to a dying laser unit.

I assume your FLR plays CD's just fine and DVD's gives trouble?

Did you speak to IAG already?

Cheers

Benzol

Tantalus

Novice Member
Thanks. I wil speak to IAG and post my findings for others future reference. You are right though - it plays CDs fine but DVDs are the problem. Not keen to spend a lot getting it repaired with 270 quid HDDVD players though - doesn't make economic sense really.

GrahamMG

It sounds as if the old flexi foil issue may have reared its ugly head, this happened to most DVD32R's, it is a simple repair, the other things it could be range from a duff laser mech to a dodgy Pantera chip.... Just about he only things that can wrong with it really...
The fact that it plays CD's now and not DVD's was well known so I expect IAG will know exactly what to do. I seem to remember that eventually it won't play CD's either so get it fixed is my advice. Just about every other player on the market just does not play CD's anything like as well these days. Certianly not any HD player....
I assume you have cleaned the lens (very carefully!!!!)?

Tantalus

Novice Member
Hi Graham - good to read you in this forum. I remember you were always so helpful on the original TAG ones.

It appears that this issue seems to be now VERY intermittent. It is playing DVDs fine again now. I didn't do anything! Could this suggest the flexi foil issue? What is that? Can I repair it myself? It certainly doesn't seem as of the laser mech is gone and it would surely just refuse to play them?

thanks in advance...:smashin:

GrahamMG

Hi Graham - good to read you in this forum. I remember you were always so helpful on the original TAG ones.

It appears that this issue seems to be now VERY intermittent. It is playing DVDs fine again now. I didn't do anything! Could this suggest the flexi foil issue? What is that? Can I repair it myself? It certainly doesn't seem as of the laser mech is gone and it would surely just refuse to play them?

thanks in advance...:smashin:
It may be that the lens was simply dirty and a bit of fluff has now blown off the lens restoring functionaity. Or of course the flexi foil (small ribbon cable between the laser sled and the supporting electronics) has a small crack in its (not so flexi) connections and is intermittent. It is a simple repair for those that know how to do such things (replace the flexi foil!) but is a bit fiddly and best left to someone that has done this before really. The flexi foil used to only effect the DVD32R though and not the FLR but I assume it uses the same parts internally.
In my experience anything that is intermittent never really goes away....

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom