1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd32 Sdi?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by cj, May 20, 2004.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I assume this isn't just very difficult, but actually impossible?

2. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi CJ, the Mediamatics MPEG decoder Pantera 1, used in the DVD32R, doesn't offer a direct digital video output, i.e. any digital video data stream, be it SDi or DVI, will need to be based on the analog video signal. This approach has been most carefully carried out in the Progressive Scan Module PSM192, available for the DVD32. The analog video signal is digitised, then deinterlaced [Sil 504] before being output as DVI and analog video.

One could use the same design philosophy for a SDI link, but one could only output the deinterlaced video signal due to SDI's bandwidth limitations. Having said this, DVI is the adopted digital video output for DVD players, i.e. more and more display devices will offer a DVI input, so SDI might be a short lived solution.

So SDI is technically possible...

3. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks Udo,

I do in fact have a PSM192 with my DVD32, and also an external scaler (Crystalio).

It's just interesting to try different combos and see what effect they have on the picture - I can feed both the progressive (analogue and DVI) and interlaced DVD32 outputs into the scaler, or send them straight to the projector. I'd like to do the same with a SDI feed as well.

Most SDI hacks I've seen involve intricate soldering onto the legs of chips or points on the motherboard - I'm guessing there is no way to do something similar with a DVD32?

4. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Unfortunately not as the DVD32 doesn't have the necessary "legs" - the digitial video output these SDI "hacks" connect to. Sorry...

5. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Great news that you're in here.

There are always going to be questions your best qualified to answer and I'm delighted to see that facility is potentially still available even if IAG still haven't managed to get a forum sorted out for themselves.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I was offered a SDI mod by manchester sevenoak in the early days to feed a delphi plasma. They insisted that one had been done already and it was possible. I told them otherwise. They said I was wrong and I left knowing I was told rubbish. I have not returned to that shop since. :oops: