1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2910 + AVR2805 - What's the best CD set-up ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by meltonboy, May 31, 2005.

1. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    I have recently bought the DV2910 & AVR2805. Firstly - i'm a novice, but love the set up with the Monitor Audio Radius speakers and REL quake Sub.

Secondly, i want to know what is the best way to listen to music. My inexperienced but logical mind would suggest using the digital co-ax connection and then let the amp do the work, BUT the dealer suggested using the analogue outputs. He said it was his personal preference and threw in wireworld phono connects for free so i could compare.

I've tried both and have to say i like them both in the stereo mode (which i prefer for music).

Is there a professional view on this and some set-up hints with either/ both of the dvd and amp in this matter ?

2. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best way to listen to music is with your ears :rotfl: Honestly experiment all you like but don't worry too much about what the "experts" say stick with what you prefer.

How ever sticking my "experts" hat on :hiya: In my setup I use analog connections between my 3910 and 3805 for everything apart from 6.1 DVD's. I just prefer the sound of the DAC's in the 3910. My thinking is that the electrical enviroment of the DVD player is not as variable as that of the Amp (lot less current floating around for a start) The down side of this is using decent interconnects is expensive when you have to use 4 pairs. 3 for multichannel and 1 for Stereo.

I use Atlas interconnects for all my kit which I spent quite a lot of time auditioning. I like the idea of using just one cable between the DVD and Amp (Denon link 3 when it arrives) but not at the expense of SQ which is more important to me than convenience.

3. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Thanks for your reply, Andy. I guess what you are saying is that i have answered my own question ie both set-ups sound good to me so use either :)

The analogue interconnect route is simpler for me as that means my girlfriend can select either "CD" or "DVD" function and not have to change between pure direct stereo and Dolby prologic II (digital dolby and DTS is automatic anyway), which will confuse her and therefore give me ear-ache :nono:

Still, since i have convinced her of the virtue of sound quality over convenience, i'm doing pretty well so far :D

All the best

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't forget the pure direct options on the amp and i think also on the player to shut down the unwanted video circuitry.

5. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Thanks Eddy Boy.

I have seen that there are pure direct options on the player as well, but haven't got that far in the manual yet. Already using this option on the amp for the analogue/ phono connect feed for cd's to good effect.