1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd2900 problem HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tyronexavia, Aug 16, 2005.

1. tyronexavia

tyronexavia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey all.
    i am house sitting a freinds place and have the pleasure of a DVD2900 and a AVR3803.
    Apart from absolutly loving it i have a problem.
    I turned both of them off last night and woke this morning and turned both on, put in a new dvd and NOTHING.... its as if the dvd player does not recognise the dvd. i have tried others and even a few music cd's. i even listened in closely. it does not appear to be reading the discs...the discs sounds like it spins but then it stops atnd the screen shoes 0h00m00s which is what is displayed when no disc is inserted. i belive that the laser may not be focusing.....
    Can anyone help, i would like to rectify this problem before he returns from his trip.
    the player is 2 months old.

thanks
    tyrone (pete)

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Firstly, oh boy are you in trouble!
    Secondly, I am not familiar with that model but Denons usually have a reset procedure which cures some issues. Perhaps someone knows what it is for the 2900's. Good luck! :)

3. tyronexavia

tyronexavia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    A reset might cure it but be aware that this will restore the unit to the factory defaults. Best make a note of all the settings before you do it. From the manual, this is how to do it (also works if you've lost the rating level password):-

"While the player is in the stop mode, hold down the player's SKIP >>| button and the PLAY button down simultaneously and then hold the OPEN/CLOSE button down for longer than 3 seconds (until "INITIALIZE" disappears from the TV monitor). The lock will be released and all default settings and picture settings will return to the default values".

If that doesn't do the trick then the laser pickup might be borked. It's not really your fault if it is though, could happen to anyone at anytime.

5. tyronexavia

tyronexavia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have no explanation, but after leaving the machine on for a day, it now works....mayb ethe laser needs to warm up....i know this sounds dumb but i have no other explanation....
    thanks anyway
    tyrone

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a multi-regioned 2900 and have experienced a similar problem. It reads SACD, DVD-A & DVD-V 100% - never refused a disc.

However, the rejection rate for CD's is about 75%!

Get this: It'll play an SACD with no problems, but if I switch to the CD layer of the same SACD , it refuses to play!! Bizarre!

In my experience, it reads CD's easier from cold. I think the transport mech / laser overheats very quickly (certainly feels very hot after a short time) and has trouble focusing at redbook wavelengths.

I think the 2900 has a ventilation problem. All that internal shielding must also compound the problem.

I was aware of the 2900's unreliability before I bought it, so I bought it NEW, from a LOCAL DEALER, with a TWO-YEAR warranty!!!!

It'll be going back there soon, when I can be bothered.....

DT

PS, It's still a great machine though - no idea what I'll able to replace it for the money :(

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What does a reset do to the region code?

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    It shouldn't affect it.

9. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    *old thread hi-jack alert*
    I seem to be having a similar problem but in reverse, one particular hybrid SACD plays fine on CD layer but jumps and mis-starts on several tracks at the end of the SACD layer - fine on other disc of the 2 disc set and elsewhere on that disc.
    For comparison, this disc tracks fine (but sounds sonically bad!!) on the far cheaper pio 565A. Anyone with similar problems?? :lease:

edit ..... found some on audioholics forum that are similar to those mentioned here plus some on "long" SACDs like the one I am having problems with.....having run it a few times it seems more reliable now....good job its just a "stop gap".

10. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I have had recently problems with my DVD2900 and audio discs.... copied this from what i posted on another thread yesterday...

Faulty Laser Mechanism in Denon DVD 2900

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had this player for just over 2 years (approx 28 months).

Recently I had difficulty in playing the odd film DVD, but more annoyingly was with audio discs, either DTS (e.g. Sting's Nothing like the Sun), SACD or DVD-A. The problems vary from disc to disc ranging from skipping, to dam refusal to play the disc.

A firm ware upgrade was no help, so the dealer sent it for a repair Estimate.

The verdict is a faulty laser mechanism which will cost £250 ish to repair.

I have several options open to me:

1. Spend the £35 estimate fee, and keep the machine until the laser finally goes, not being able to listen to my Audio discs on the machine.

2. Repair the machine at £250.

3. Purchase a lower end system such as the Denon DVD1920 DVD Player for £270

4. Replace with a more expensive model such as the DVD 2910 or even 3910. Is the Arc am Universal yet?

I want a universal player as I have all disc types at present

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

11. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    erm, hate to hi-jack again but I now have this specific problem....that is "0h00m00s" on the display with only three small spins - about 1/8 turn each on the transport when the disc goes in.
    Mine is also intermittent, in that the machine is fine until its used for a few hours, turned off then on again.
    I got it *very* cheap s/h and although it performed quite well for a couple of months its now too unreliable.
    Trouble is I love the sound and the picture and don't want to buy another s/h one to get the same problems or others as described. The cost of changing the transport as a repair with the UK agents seems prohibitive - was quoted about £250 the last time it went wrong - before cleaning the laser *seemed* to solve the skipping on SACD.
    I've thought about changing the transport myself (the "old man" was a tv/video/hifi repair man for 30yrs+ so we could sort it out somehow) but sourcing the parts from the USA is the only cost effectve option I can see at the moment - two US sellers (who have new design transports for $90 part no 9KC2A063B) do not ship to UK, but in any case I'm not entirely sure this is the correct component.
    Any thoughts?
    Anyone managed to solve this problem? (ie the OP or others?)
    Anyone know of a source for the components in the UK?

any help would be much appreciated....(please excuse my ramblings).

Ian

12. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    have you tried a pm to the op tyronexavia?
    he/she may have resolved the issue and not advised us:thumbsup:

13. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tried but no response as yet and I don't hold out much hope - their last post here was some time ago!
    I've done more research and the laser assembly (some part) is the likely culprit so thats lots of ££££ to repair.
    I'm tempted because by all accounts replacement of the whole assembly (with a new variant of the original AFIK??) will make the player bomb proof for some time and it does sound/play/look so good!!!
    Trying to get the Service Manual now to see how hard a replacement could be for the old man (see above) - anyone have the relevant CD with the PDFs and tests for sale/hire?? any other advice would be appreciated.
    thanks

ian

14. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know if the optical assemblies for the 2900 are common to any other models of that approximate age - eg 2200 or 2800II??
    Can't seem to get what I want from the US, may resort to cannibalism.... :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

edit for dumbness - presumably the 2800II is not as it does not have SACD or DVD-A.....