DVD2900 advice please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ymegod, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know it is not a new machine but for £399.00 I could not resist it and I have not been disappointed. I am very happy with it.
    However there is one small problem. It is the F,V and G on the right hand side of the display. The only mention in the manual, I believe, is on page 10.
    Could somebody please explain these symbols to me in very simple terms as I am not very bright.
    I have the player connected to a plasma via component using progressive scan. The audio is via a co-axial lead to a Denon receiver.
    The letters seem to alternate between V and G fairly regularly.
    The picture is excellent and the audio is outstanding so I should not really worry but I am a nosy sod and would like to know anyway.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Surely somebody must know ?
    Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllp please.

3. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It would appear that despite 22 people viewing my thread nobody is capable of helping me. Perhaps I should have known better than to try the Denon forum asking about an ancient bit of kit.
    Thank you.

4. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    The player is detecting the type of source material being played, F is for film, V is for Video, and I think that G is graphics. There was one exception which I think was PAL prog, which shows up as G rather than F or V IIRC.

I read it on here when the player first came out as I was looking to get one myself, so doing a search might bring something up.

Great price, I nearly got one for £450 last year, but was made an offer I couldn't refuse on a 3910 instead.

5. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you very much Miniholic. It sort of makes sense in that I have the player set to PAL progressive and the G does appear very frequently.
    Is the 3910 THAT much better ? If you could spare the time could you tell me how you have it connected.
    Thank you again.

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I don't know if the 3910 is THAT much better, but I just missed out on the last 2900 in stock at my local dealer, so he offered me the 3910 for a knock down price. Besides, the 2900 was black, and I wanted tarty silver :D When i bought my Denon I also looked at Pioneer (668 or 868 IIRC) and whilst I found the picture close preferred Denon as a CD player - although I have read reviews saying it sounds like an MP3 player, but I like it.

At present I'm only using RGB scart (and occasionally component into my parents Tosh 32zp) a PJ is my next upgrade, so I got a player that would be good for future upgrades. I also use it as a CD player so went for the 3910 rather than the 2910 as I wanted a one box solution.

7. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanx for all the info.

8. owen10380

owen10380
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered my 2900 from ebay for £255. I was considering the 2910 but at that price I really couldn't resist either...sorry this doesn't really add to the conversation but I was so excited I just had to tell someone :thumbsup:

9. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don`t think you will be disappointed. To pick one up for that price will make it seem even better. The picture and sound are awesome.

10. owen10380

owen10380
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right Ymegod, arrived this morning and I am frankly amazed with how brilliant it is...trouble now is convincing the other half I should upgrade the amp too :clap:

11. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You should explain to your other half that with the vast saving you made on the Denon you can now afford the amp upgrade.
    It would be a shame to have the Denon connected to an inferior amp after all !

12. tawfiq

tawfiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All, I just bought this DENON DVD-2900 universal player brand new from a DENON dealer in Singapore. The unit is fantastic but I'm having some problems with it since the day one. All the discs are not playing in this player where other low end player are playing the same discs without any type of errors. Some 'NO PLAY' appears on the display, if i just take the disc out and then try again, it maybe ok and sometime it not.

Please advise me what to do. Dose anyone knows about firmware update on this unit?