1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD18 - The Stand

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Precizion, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Precizion

Precizion
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are some dvd players incompatible with dvd18? Parents recently bought The Stand to play on their multiregion player, but everytime they try it comes up with the error "wrong region". It's all setup right to play region 1 disks (even tested some others to be sure), so the only thing I could think of was that it was something to do with the format.

Any suggestions?

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    never heard of that film, but by any chance is it a RCE disc? if so do you have any others that do play?

3. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you do a search on playusa for 'RCE' you get a result of 761 discs,
    you might have one of those and can try if your dvd player can cope,
    unfortunately they don't have the stand.....

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Morning,

I will ask a stupid question, just in case? I presume you have the Region 1 version, yes?

If so, then the disc is indeed RCE-encoded, and it will not play back properly on a lot of DVD players that aren't truly multi-regional. However, this has nothing to do with the disc being a DVD-18 or Double-sided, dual-layered disc, but to do with Warner's making the film RCE encoded!

By this, I mean:
    1) If you can physically programme or set your DVD player to a specific region number, then it should play. However...
    2) ... If you're machine is set to Region 0 or region free, and doesn't let you set the region code yourself, then you're basically screwed. The disc won't play.

RCE checks that your DVD player's firmware is a genuine Region 1 machine. If it isn't, it'll simply spit-out the disc.

The only alternatives, are to either a) try a different DVD player, or b) buy the Region 2 version. However, you should be aware that the R2 version is missing all the extras, that appear on the R1 version.

Pooch

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sometimes, you can get RCE discs to play on a Region 0 machine, by fiddling about with the remote. Try pressing 'Title' and input 01, then press Play. This might skip the part where the RCE checks the region setting on the player. Try it with the draw open, as well as closed. If you know the make and model of the player, there might be a workaround, if you search a bit on Google. You could also check out the link below, which, I have to admit, doesn't seem all that up to date, but might just have the info you need.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    My player a Pioneer 525 doesn't like RCE discs, but I can get around it by putting in another R1 disc, then ejecting out (without stopping the disc) when the FBI warning or studio logo appears and replacing it with the disc I want to watch.

This works because it hard codes the machine to region 1, the only drawback being if you stop the ilm halfway through, you can still resume as normal, but after watching the film, you have to do it all again if you want to have a look at the extras, but it's only a small price to pay.

I've heard of this method worlking with a few other machines too.

Hope this helps,

Ian

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    Definitely agree that this won't be anything to do with it being a DVD18.

Searching on PlayUSA for RCE discs isn't helpful - they mark titles are RCE when they aren't. I doubt that there are anything like 761 different RCE titles on the market.

But it does certainly seem as though there is something about the region coding (and it may be RCE) on this disc, that the player doesn't like.

You could try playing part of another R1 disc first as suggested. Or looking for a region change option in the player's setup menu and setting it to region 1; you don't say what type of player it is.

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i've got a pioneer dv717 (hard modded to region 0) which the RCE notices, but i can also soft mod it to region 1 to get past any RCE nonsense.

I assume DVD18 is a 17gb disc? With 6 hours video time? Would definitely need that for such a long movie as the stand, would expect any players which came out before DVD18 existed might have trouble reading such a fine level of encoding.

9. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    A DVD 18 is actually just two DVD9's back to back, i.e. RSDL double sided. So the "encoding" is no different to a regular DVD9.

10. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    ah well that told me! they should really call it DVD9+9 or something...

11. Precizion

Precizion
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, unfortuantly none seem to work. I did at one point manage to get the title screen to load, but was unable to do anything with it once there.

Could not try the trick of swapping dvds though because as soon as you press eject it goes back to main dvd player screen and cancels what was playing. Also, it has an option in setup to select region as USA, but that did not seem to change anything.

It's a AMW P819 player btw if anyone has any other suggestions.

12. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983