DVD137 + Heat + Second Layer = Problem?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by -=Dave=-, Aug 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. -=Dave=-

-=Dave=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone!

My replacement DV137 arrived on Saturday and I have encountered a bit of a problem with it.

I was half way through a film (Ch 19) when the picture suddenly started to drop out, as did the sound. I tried forwarding through the chapters but they wouldn't play, although ones before 19 did. I managed to replicate this at the time with two other disks (the DVD Player was quite hot plus it was a hot day).

I tried the same discs again on Sunday and they played without problems.

The DVD sits on a glass shelf above my AVR350 (which can run very hot) and there is about an inch between the top of the AMP and the glass. As a result, the glass can also get hot and I'm sure this is then heating up the DVD even more.

Basically, it seems that when the player is running hot, it struggles to read the second layer.

So questions...

1) Is this common (I doubt it!)?
    2) Has anybody experienced it before?
    3) Does my AMP have enough room to vent at the top?
    4) Should I move the AMP to the top of the stack?

Regards
    Dave

PS: I meant to add, this is running the 2.03 software.

2. -=Dave=-

-=Dave=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :)

3. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308

Not sure If this helps but i have my 137 sat on top of my 700, which inturn is on the top of my P1000, no issues at all, although it does get hot and may need me to move or gap at a later date

4. -=Dave=-

-=Dave=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Well I've given it a few weeks now and still have the problem, in-fact, I seem to have another.

The heat thing is still causing picture and sound breakups (see attachments, apologies for the poor quality).

The new problem is that some discs (i.e. Lord of the Rings Extended Edition) seem to stutter every few minutes (basically the picture freezes for about 5 frames then jumps forward).

I'm in contact with the dealer again so I'll keep you posted.

3rd time lucky?!?

Regards
    Dave

Attached Files:

5. Donali

Donali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I thought I had the same problem as noted above so I moved the amp (AVR250) to the top of the rack and the DV137 underneath it so no heat would affect the player. However, the problem persisted. I contacted my dealer and they have given me a replacement until my new one arrives. (this one also has ver. 2.03). The replacement still stutters on R1 disc chapter changes but played the first 4 dvd's all the way through with no problems until last night. I watched the R1 Jurassic Park III and 15 minutes from the end the picture started to break up. It only lasted for a second or two but occurred about 5 times in the last 15 mins of the movie. I was and still am disappointed that even the shop player exhibits problems similar to the one I had previously. I hope the new firmware, if and when it arrives, solves these frustrating issues.

Don

:(

6. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I am on my 3rd DV137 and i am still getting the same issues as you guys.

Apart from these issues,i think it is a great player

7. -=Dave=-

-=Dave=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's hardly ideal but I found a workaround (!) is to run a fan on the DVD & AMP to keep them cool (even a low setting works). I can play a disc for hours doing that, where-as without a fan it will always fail after about an hour.

I shouldn't have todo this with a £100 player let alone a £1250 one, but it gets me by until player number 3 arrives.