1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scrapbook, Mar 3, 2003.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    A simple question before I fit a drive to my daughters computer.

Are DVD Rom drives multi region?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. You have to flash them..

www.firmware-flash.com

otherwise they lock out to the previous region (only allowed 5 changes)

Once flashed, the no of changes is unlimited.

You also have to use a util called DVD Genie to change the Windows region as well.

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    This forum is great isn't it!

I bought a new laptop yesterday (Fujitsu Siemens) with a DVD/CD/CDRW combo drive and I was just about to ask the same question as I have many Region1 DVD's that i will want to play on it.

So, all i need to do is find out what model/make the combo drive is and get the firmware update for it.

Correct?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. I would do the firmware in a DOS disc (Windows 95, boot disc with nothing in autoexec.bat or config.sys)

Perfoming the flash in Windows is not recommended.

5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Whooooooosh........straight over my head that one!

I'm running XP Home edition, does that still go for that?

I assume that you mean that i run the .exe file from DOS?

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Ask a mate with a Windows 95/98 machine. Format a floppy with the system disc option. Then copy the .EXE (Executable) and the .BIN- ususally (Hex firmware source code) onto the floppy, if enough space.

What I do - good safety measure- is log off, log on and copy the files from the floppy back onto the HD- to check the files read in. You don't want the .BIN file over a bad sector! :mad:

You then need to read the instructions regarding the downloaded firmware, usually a text file.

Boot from the floppy. It should look like this...

A:\

Then perform the flash. DO NOT INTERUPT THE FLASH PROCESS!

It should then report as successful. Switch off the laptop, remove floppy. Then boot into windows.

There is a util which gives the RPC info, it should say MULTIREGION - before flashing it would have said "RPC-2, 4 CHANGES LEFT"

There are utils to flash in Windows, but I have heard people screwing the drive up, so if you can use a DOS ver, do that instead.

[EDIT] DO NOT FLASH THE DRIVE IN THE WINDOWS XP DOS BOX!!!! This is not a pure DOS enviroment (ie like the 3.5" Floppy boot disc)

Nathan

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops, slightly wrong- you need a basic Windows 95 boot disc, with MSCDEX- this is the CD-ROM driver. Alternively get a Windows ME boot disc, this has the required files.

Here's a typcial DOS flash readme...

ATAPI DVD-ROM DRIVE FIRMWARE UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS
    The upgrade should NOT be applied to any other model DVD-ROM drive than the one it is designated for.

Copy the unziped firmware upgrade files onto a clean floppy disk:
    ***.hex : Firmware Version 1.22
    ###.exe : Upgrade Utility program
    up+++.bat : Batch program to execute the upgrade.

(***, ### and +++ represent the respective file names and will vary depending on the drive model and firmware version)

Create a DOS boot floppy disk and edit the Config.sys file to include an ATAPI drivers and edit the Autoexec.bat to include MSCDEX.EXE
    on the floppy disk so these load when the system is in DOS mode.
    These DOS ATAPI drivers are available from the Pioneer web site: http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multimedia/software.htm
    File: ATAPI307.ZIP
    The MSCDEX.EXE file should be on your original Windows program CD or on you C: drive under C:\windows\ directory.
    OR
    For Windows 98/Me you can use a startup floppy disk to boot your system into DOS and select CD-ROM support.
    Within windows 98/Me create this floppy disk by going to "My Computer" then "Control Panel" then "Add/Remove
    Programs" and select the tab "Startup Disk".
    When creating a DOS boot startup disk in this way all the required files are automatically put on the floppy using the generic ATAPI drivers
    from Microsoft so in this way no editing of the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files is required.

PROCEDURE
    1. Connect Pioneer DVD-ROM drive on the Secondary IDE Port with the drive set as Master.
    Disconnect any other drives that may be daisy chained to the DVD-ROM drive.
    2. Insert the Startup DOS boot floppy disk and turn ON the PC.
    3. Make sure there is no disc in the drive unit before the firmware upgrade is executed.
    4. Insert the floppy with the updated firmware files and execute the up+++.BAT file.
    5. The current version number of the firmware will be shown and the new firmware will be uploaded.
    6. When the DOS prompt returns reboot the computer by powering OFF then ON.

Do not turn OFF the PC while upgrade is executed or the firmware upgrade will fail. Retry upgrade procedure from 4 through 6 if the firmware upgrade is fails.
    Apply power cycle (OFF/ON) if the firmware upgrade fails.

IMPORTANT:
    The upgrade will not function and permanent failure of the drive could occur unless the drive is connected as per point 1.

----oO END Oo----

8. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I think i'll leave it! :confused: :eek: :suicide:

Thanks for the reply though :smashin: I might print this out and when i'm a bit more confident about not knackering my lovely new laptop I might, might, have a go ;)

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget- you only have 4 times to change the drive, once it's locked you can never unlock it. Even flashing the drive after it's locked wil not unlock it.

So make sure your don't change it to Region 8 on the last change-arrggh!

I would say set to Rx, then only use that Region. Put a sticker on the laptop, near the drive. It's easy to forget how many changes are left.

Or if you know a PC technie mate, ask him to it. Don't blame him if the flash is unsuccesful though.

If you haven't a clue about old MS-DOS operating system, then don't do it.

Nathan

10. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I presume that Region 0 discs don't affect it?

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about R0's, if it reduces the countdown.

I flashed my Pioneer 106S within a week of getting it.

I think when you insert a disc of a different Region, Windows pops up with a Region change notification. When you select OK, a 1 is reduced from the drives countdown.

Nathan

12. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I don't think any DVD discs are actually Region 0.

It's R0 really just a way of saying none of the 8 region restriction flags have been set, so ANY DVD player can play it, i.e. the disc itself is region-free.

An easy way to get a boot floppy to easily flash your drive is to download one from http://www.bootdisk.com/ and follow their instructions to easily write to a floppy.

regards,
    Rob.