DVD writing conundrum...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dan666, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just thought Id share a few of my experiences with backing up my DVD movies.

OK, hardware involved is a PC with Pioneer 106D writer, and 3 standalone players; Pioneer DV444, Toshiba SD230 and Samsung 709. Software is DVDShrink 3.0 (newest Beta) and Nero 6.

When I got the writer, I backed up my first film onto a VERY expensive Verbatim DVD+R (single with case). Using DVDInfoPro, I have found this disc to have CMC dye. This works with no problems in all 3 of the above players.

After that, I bought a pack of 25 cheapo printable 4x DVD-Rs, with what I believe is Infosmart dye. This is where the problems started.

Written at 4x, they play back fine on the Pioneer player until a couple of chapters before the end, when they start skipping, stuttering and pixellating. In the Samsung player, they wont play at all - the disc gets ejected as soon as you press play. In the Toshiba player, no problems right the way through.

At 2x, the choppiness as described above with the Pioneer player comes in a few seconds before the end of the data - usually in the credits. Again, no joy with the Samsung and perfect playback on the Toshiba.

So to sum up, the Toshiba will play anything, the Pioneer player is a bit more fussy about its media and the Samsung is just being an arse.

But whats causing this behaviour with the Pioneer player? At first I thought the dye on this cheap media couldnt handle being written to at higher speeds, until it played back in the Tosh flawlessly. Could the Pioneer be more sensitive to errors on cheap media than the Tosh?

Id be interested in any other experiences like this so I can decide what to do now... Im not sure whether to stick with DVD-R and go for more expensive media, or switch to DVD+R.

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've also found the faster you burn, the more likely it is to play up on players. In addition I always ensure I only create images that will fill 95% max of DVD, through experiences of juddering & freezing near end of films. This has cured that problem

As for brand of DVDs I have found it is not always the cost that makes the difference. For instance the most reliable discs I found for my Pioneer Burner was "Mirror" which cost less than a quid (when bought in 50's)

Its worth searching dedicated DVD forums for advice on best brands for specific DVD recorders.......& as for burning, I always burn at 1x (the discs are cheaper then as well).

Dave

3. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just posted a similar question in the DVD Player section - didn't see this link until now.
    I have a Samsung S224 which I am considering returning to Currys with the pixellation problem you describe.I get it on +RW and -R disks.
    However,on my 3 year old Toshiba SD100 the -R disks play faultlessly - no go on the +RW though.
    I'll see what happens if I slow down the burn speed , -r(white top)ares written at 2X whilst the +RWs (Philips)are written at 2.4X on an LG4040B burner.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    The problem is the media being poor quality. If you buy cheap media, you get get problematic results.

Ritek discs are considered to be the best out of the cheap manufacturers. There brand name is Traxdata.

As a result of so many bad discs around. I rather get cheap RW discs and at least they can be reused if needed. I got Imation +RW at £14.99 for 10 from PC World, and Memorex RW's at the same price when blankdiscshop had them.

An interested thing I found out with the Memorex. If Nero formatted the discs I got errors for the last 100MB of the disc. The disc still played ok though. If I used DVDInfoPro to format first, then there is no errors. These have the CMC dye.

It is to do with the dye used, rather than the make and how well the players can read it. Different makes can have different dyes, Verbatim used to be made by Ricoh but now CMC. Anything with Ricoh of Japan as the manufacturer, in my opinion is the best.

I also have a LG 4040B burner and I won't be burning at 4x. 2x and 2.4x is good enough for me.

5. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I tried burning at a slower speed, and this helped to an extent; the skipping and stuttering started a bit later, usually just after the credits started rolling.

I also tried reducing the size of the output files in DVDShrink, limiting it to 4.3Gb instead of the usual 4.7GB - this had no effect.

Ive now ordered a pack of 25 DVD-Rs with the Ritek G04 dye. Hopefully this will solve the problem. If not, expect to see 24 of them in the classifieds section pretty soon!

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I use the custom size in shrink and set the limit in MB. I usually do it as 4452MB. I also have done DVD's at 4200MB.

7. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I got the Riteks in the post today.

Ive burned half a dozen films so far and not a single glitch or error.

Just goes to show... cheap discs really are a false economy. Spend the extra few quid and you wont end up having to reburn all your movies!

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    RITEK are really the way to go, at first I used Datawrite (Princo) media and they gave me nothing but trouble, then switched to RITEK and have not had more than 3 bad discs since and that is out of 800+ burns all at 4x and all gave flawless playback and that is all the way upto the 4.36GB limit