1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD writers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DustySox, Feb 5, 2005.

1. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I am thinking of going for ND3520A Dual Layer Int IDE Black 16x DVDRW +/- OEM, for my Dell 2400.

Any reasons why I shouldn't go down this route, or should I be looking at other options?

ATB

Darren

2. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anyone

:lease:

ATB

Darren

3. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

Maybe if you are a bit more specific in what you are trying to achieve, someone may be able to assist :)

If you are just going to install in your Dell to burn DVD's, then providing it fits your case it's a good choice. It is the successor to the ND 3500 which I have and is very good.

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the 3520 has the ability to write to Dual layer -R as well as +R, also the 3520 writes to -RW at 6x which is a bit faster than the 3500.

Hope this helps :)

Shezzy2k

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The NEC are great drives you wont have any problems

However the Pioneer range is defo the popular choice among most people

There new 109 is out now priced at about £53

5. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers guys,

Thats what I was looking for. I'm fed up with my 1100 being so fussy with software types. Im just want to load n rip!!

ATB

Darren

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have the 3500a and its great, the 3520 has a cheaper chipset than the 3500a
    it is only newer in the sense that NEC found a cheaper supplier of chips.
    that does not mean it is a better or improved drive. From all reports the 3500
    has better firmware available, and thats why I chose to buy the 3500 and not the 3520

7. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thankyou for yor reply,

Now you've really given me something to think about!

:confused:

ATB

Darren

8. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Maybe the newer chipset is cheaper which I would expect in the current market conditions where there is fierce competition amongst optical drive producers, this is ultimately driving production costs down.

But the fact that the 3520 can write to both +R and -R DL DVD discs, and that the 3500 can only write to +R DL discs surely has to be seen as an advancement.

Having said that, I have yet to see any -R DL retailing in the UK. But with this feature at least you have more options in the future.

I'd be interested in which reports say that the 3500 has better firmware as I have this drive. I would certainly expect there would be more firmwares available purely because the 3500 has been in existence for longer...but why better?

I would say that for mainstream use that either will be fine, and that NEC make some of the best drives on the market, but I wouldn't choose the 3500 over the 3520 unless there was a specific firmware (usually hacked) that offered a non standard feature that I needed.

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 109 is the most feature rich writer at the moment along with the plextor 716A but thats twice the price (and i had one which i had loads of problems with)

For £53 the Pioneer 109 Is a great buy

10. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    The NEC's are fine, I have the 2500 dual layer and it works perfectly well. I do have another sudgestion which is the Plextor drives which are VERY popular in the enthusiast community because they are VERY QUICK, Plextor update there firmware regularly which sometimes include new features for free!!! Not a lot of people use dual layer burning though as the disks are still expensive like £3.49 for one dual layer disk as opposed to £8 for 25 blank single layer disks!!

11. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two lite on drives, one 4x +r -r and one 16x everything drive and I highly rate them both. No coasters and the buffer works well with Nero and DVD shrink.

To think how much they are now. My first writer was a Pioneer 2 x -r only drive and cost me £250 !!!!

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Nec3500a + Qikee Milestone Extreme V3 firmware (region free and riplock removed)
    can burn datawrite titanium dvd-r 8x (CMC MAG AE1) at 12x (aka Datawrite yellow 8x)
    this media is available all over the UK at £5-£6 per 25
    burnt 100s at 12x (6:30 - 7:00 mins) with not any fails

Dual Layer media will not be available in the UK at a reasonable price for at least 12 months, by then several more NEC models will have been brought out.
    (NEC3530 due in March)

13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what i read it wont get much cheaper than £2 - £3 in the life of the media which is not reasonable in my book :)

From whats been said HD-DVD and Blu Ray (Once The Manufacturing Plant Is Setup) Wont cost any more than standard DVD-R to manufacture once in full flow so might have to hang on a while for bigger storage at reasonable prices