1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Writer

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jem, Oct 18, 2003.

1. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would like to buy a DVD Writer and would like some recommendations please.

Also some advice. I currently have 2 hard drives, CD Rewriter and DVD player so all four IDE slots are used. I don't want to get rid of the hard drives or the CD Writer ( it's a 52 speed ) so Ican either get a PCI card to give me more IDE slots or replace the DVD player with the DVD writer. Do I need both a player and writer - I do have a DVD player connected to my TV.

Thanks for your help.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You don't need a DVD player and writer together, unless you rip a lot of DVDs and your player has a faster ripping speed than the writer. There are many firmware hacks that unlock the enforced 2x ripping speed though, if that's an issue for you.

OTOH, having two DVD readers means you can have one set to region 1 and the other to region 2, meaning you avoid flashing firmware or using region-killing software. Adding a PCI card for two more IDE channels is possible, never done it myself so can't comment.

As for recommendations, IMHO there's no much to pick between most these days, for the average user like me that is. Go for a dual-mode one, ie. that car write DVD+R and DVD-R media, especially if you intend to write DVDs to play on your domestic player since these can be picky about the media types they will be happy with.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,363
    The DVD writer will also write CD’s as well but I do not think it will do single speed CD’s.

The Pioneer 106 seem one of, if not the best bangs for buck at present.

I have just taken my old CD writer out and am just using the DVD writer and an old CD reader, and keeping the CD writer as back up in cast anything goes wrong with the DVD for writing CD’s.

4. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4