1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD write speed problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by steviewilson, Jul 28, 2005.

1. steviewilson

steviewilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a new LG burner, allegedly read write speeds of up to 16x, but I burned the 1st disk and it wouldnt show higher write speed than 4X. Its 8X media and my pioneer 107 I have just replaced wrote at 8X no probs. I just needed a drive to recognise ram disks. All cables and settings are identical to the way the Pioneer was setup. Any clues?

Stevie

2. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Try updating the firmware. My LG's firmware was way out of date when I bought it and acted the same.

3. steviewilson

steviewilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did that mate and still only lists 4x options. Hmmm.....

Stevie

4. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Stevie
    I had much the same problem when I upgraded to a DL/16x speed Sony. The same media that burned perfectly at 8X on my older drive resolutely failed to burn beyond 6X, even with the latest firmware patch. Left me with half a spindle that I had to use up at lower speed than before I bought the new drive! :mad:

I just bought several different brand 16X discs from Ketta or ARPMedia (or similar retailers) - just 1 of each so not much outlay - and found which ones burn at 16X.

For me it was Infiniti and Verbatim by the way. Imation and Philips are no good in my drive.

Slightly off the track of your problem, but hope this helps :D