1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD with volume control

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Keiron, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'm after a DVD player with built in DD decoder which also allows me to remotely control the volume. In other words, so you can connect the DVD directly to a multi-channel power amp. Does such a player exist?

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want it to connect to an amp, surely it would be fixed level output.

Only volume controls i have seen have been for headphones.

3. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yes - I'm aware that most DVD players output a fixed level, though I dare say there are a few with variable stereo outputs.

I ask because I will be purchasing the Acoustic Energy Aego 5 (set of 5 speakers and sub containing amplification for all channels), which is available with or without a processor. I thought if I could get a DVD with decoder and variable output, I could save on the processor (which is the only means of remotely controlling the volume).

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering. Thanks

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Keiron<br />If this system does have full six channel amplification and processors etc does it not also have its own volume control and remote? If not what kit do AE actully reccommend that it is used with? <br />I thought these AE systems just had a powered sub, sometimes built into the main floorstanders. <br />Richard

6. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Sorry just understood your second post, so if you get the processor you also get a pre-amp with volume control. is that right. <br />Surely pretty useless without it. If you did find a DVD with volume control (I have never heard of one) you would be limited to that one source and that one model. If you wanted a cd or tuner or any other cource you would have the same problem as these dont usually come with controllable outputs either. <br />Richard

7. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Your right, Richard. I already have the Aego 2, which only has a manually adjustable volume control on the sub, which contains all the amplification. AE were going to produce an add on kit to enable the Aego 2 to be upgraded to full 5.1, but they're not doing that anymore. Instead, they'll take the Aego 2 off awners hands and reduce the price of the 5.1 kit accordingly. The processor (which I do assume has inputs for other digital and analogue sources) does, I am told have a remote volume control) but costs £150. <br />By the way, this AE kit in just the stereo format knocks spots off any of the similar Sony / JVC / Pioneer gear.

8. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Keiron <br />Im no expert so dont rely on what I say but I had a look at the AE Aego 2/5 spec and I suspect you dont just need the processor for remote volume control but perhaps also to get Digital co-ax input. There web site gives no information on this processor, or if the Sub/amplifier box is upgraded in the 5 version. The 2 version certainly does not seem to have any digital connections. <br />I would ask them for a full spec before you go ahead so you are sure what you get and what you can connect and how. eg a decoded DD5.1 and DTS signal. <br />Good Luck Richard <br />PS Perhaps if you post in the amplifer and speaker forums as well you will get someone who knows more to help.

9. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've been speaking directly to AE about it, and they've sent me some outline details but no real detailed specs. The processor (which is really a digital preamp) will have all the digital inputs, then a set of analogue outputs to connect to the sub which contains all the amlification.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Haven't heard of any DVD player with volume controlled 5.1 output ... not even one with a variable stereo out. Sorry.