1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD with DVI, SACD & DVD Audio Reg Free - exists?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by typRat, Jun 25, 2004.

1. typRat

typRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a perfect companion player for an infocus Screenplay 7205 projector that will also play Dark Side of The Moon on SACD and all my DVD-A's!

Needs to be Region Free / Multizone capable too!

Tell me there a whole lot of them out please...price not important (at the moment anyway)

Thanks

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Marantz DV12 and Denon A11. Just as well that price isn't a concern when discussing those two.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Pioneer DV-868AVi if you prefer a thinner HDMI cable to your 7205 - which I believe has an HDMI compatible DVI-HDCP input rather than HDMI.

Steve

4. typRat

typRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being new to this whole DVI / HDMI thang, is there a problem with doing a converter connection rather than a straight DVI connection? Is it simply a plug adaptation or is it a converter which does some kind of processing?

Thanks for the quick replies. Definitely the Pioneer is more comfortable pricewise, but the denon seems attractive too.

Any recommendations?

I guess the marantz is a buck too far..

thanks

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Hi typrat,

There should be no problem connecting HDMI and DVI-HDCP components together, as HDMI is just looking for a digital "handshake" to allow a signal to be passed. There were rumours of HDMI/DVI physical converters but I've not seen any yet. You could use an HDMI-DVI cable like these instead. Hope this helps.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/cables/dvi2hdmi.jsp

Steve

6. Lepton

Lepton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pioneer HDMI + Infocus may not work! Some say it's the pioneers, some blame it on the cables. It is recommended that you try the actual PJ-DVD-cable combination before you buy.

7. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Pioneer + Infocus DOES NOT work - I have tried it. I believe the problem is with the Pioneer which does not meet proper HDMI standards (apparently).

Supposedly there is an adaptor coming from Infocus that may make it work but I wouldn't hold your hopes out for this combination.

Paul

8. Lepton

Lepton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, it did work for me! :) Sorry for the late reply, but it happened just yesterday!

9. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Good to hear it, Lepton. Maybe Pioneer or Infocus updated their firmware to allow it?

Steve

10. Lepton

Lepton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, both the Pioneer and the Infocus had their original firmware versions, 1.406 and 1.7 (If I'm not mistaken) respectfully. I suspect it has to do with the cables: too long or too cheap ones probably fail to transfer the signal. Maybe Pioneer's signal is too weak and Infocus' receptor is too demanding. I used the Oehlbach 10m hdmi->DVI cable, plus the Lindy DVI->M1-DA adapter.

Mind you, I have tried connecting the 5700 with a friend's Yamakawa with the official Infocus DVI->M1-DA cable. 576p did go through every once in a while, but 720p and above never made it. We are going to try again with a DVI->DVI Oehlbach and the adapter.

11. a3rmk

a3rmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have a look at the Marantz DV8400 which seems to be doing very well in reviews lately.
    I saw an 868 HDMI'd into the Pioneer plasma and wasn't blown away...and the disc was Monsters.