1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd with 5.1 dtds out

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tommy tac, Jan 15, 2002.

1. tommy tac

tommy tac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a wharfedale M5 from tesco. I connected 6 phonos to my sony amp (no processor). There is a buzz from the front speakers during quite scenes in films. I know the amp and cables are Ok so, I am taking the DVD back tommorow for a refund.

Can anyone recommend an alternative DVD player with 5.1 and DTS decoder between £100 - £200.

I was thinking of £99 Cyberhome from richer sounds but this has had some poor reviews on this site.

I cannot find anthing else in this price range that has an on board decoder.

Thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    It looks like you´ll need to increase your budget and move towards a more expensive player. Alternatively, get yourself another amp/receiver with its own decoders built in and get something like the Toshiba 210 dvd.

The Toshiba is available from 150 upwards (multiregion) & you can pick up amps etc from 250 quid.

There are some 2nd hand bargains around as well, in the Classified Hardware section are a couple of Denon 3300 for 200 quid each. Older models but still excellent sound, especially at that price.

Hope this helps.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Acoustic Solutions DVD-551 from Richer Sounds (£119) and although the first player had a fault and had to be returned its replacement has functioned perfectly for 4 months. The remote's design is a bit antiquated but fully-functional.

It has a built-in decoder and both analogue and digital (coax & optic) outputs. It also reads CDR/CDRW and plays MP3.

Richer Sounds offer multi-region at extra cost and hand over an A4 photocopy detailing the hack so I wouldn't bother and get it from here if you need it.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RICHER SOUNDS ARE RAVING ABOUT THE LG 4950,THIS COMES WITH AN ON BOARD DECODER.COST £199.LOOKS THE BIZ ASWELL!
    WHY NOT BUY ONE OF THEIR SHERWOOD AMPS AND BUY ANOTHER DVD PLAYER WITHOUT THE ON BOARD DECODER.THE LIMIT OR LG ARE AROUND £100.

6. tommy tac

tommy tac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My internet has been cut off for a few days. I bought the LG model before I read any of these replys. It had 5 red stars in what hifi. It is also a very solid player. Build quality is suberb, much better than the plastic M5. The sound is also really good. The buzzing evident with the wharfedale has completley gone.

I picked it up for 199 at richer sounds in Cardiff.

Since I had the amp and 5 seakers givven to me. I had to repair the amp dry joints. I now a complete DTS/5.1 sytem for 199. not Bad. Now I just need to buy a 32" TV.

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I also like the LG, even though my local branch of Richer Sounds is doing their best to disuade people from purchasing this player and distracting them with those toss Limit players. Bloody *****.